car crash

shawn mendes imagines
imagine xxxiv
-
maddie's pov

"ready?" i heard a voice say from behind me.

turning around, i seen my boyfriend shawn. nodding, i smiled and closed my locker. we left school hand-in-hand, passing the rows of busses and stepping onto the side walk. we approached the cross walk, waiting until the cars got the red light when we could cross.

"i'm so excited to go on tour with you," i smiled up at him, "i'm actually so excited."

"i'm excited that you will be joining me, it is going to be so much fun," shawn said, kissing my forehead, "i love you so much."

"i love you too."

the cars got the red light so we stepped onto the crosswalk. shawn's hand let go of mine and he turned to me, grinning, "i'll race you across!" he turned, running before i got the chance to catch up.

then, everything happened in a flash.

the incoming car apparently didn't see the red light and drove into the crosswalk, striking shawn.

someone behind me who was also crossing crosswalk, grabbed my shoulders and pulled me backwards. i collapsed onto the pavement along with everyone else behind me, an ache shooting up my leg. that wasn't my concern though, my concern was my boyfriend who was pinned under a car waist down.

"shawn!!" i cried, pushing myself up and dashing over to his bleeding body.

i grabbed his shoulders gently and shook him, his eyes weakly opening. a strangled sob left my lips as i let my hands fall to my sides, "shawn! everything's o-okay, baby, you're fine." i was in hysterics, traffic from all directions haulting to a stop.

i cried, tears slipping down my face as i grabbed his hand that was sticky with blood.

"i-i-i can't feel my l-legs," shawn groaned, "i-"

"i-it's o-okay, hunny," i croaked, "damnit."

his eyes fluttered, and he started to cough. blood slipped from his mouth, and i gasped in horror. he winced, "what's h-happening t-to me?" before i could reply, he stopped coughing and his eyes closed.

"n-no, shawn, wake up! don't sleep, p-please," i sputtered, sobs making my words choppy.

his head was bleeding, and i knew that it was split open somewhere in the back. i assumed his legs were severely injured because of being pinned under the car but i couldn't see.

"i called an ambulance!" a voice said from behind me, but i didn't look back.

the car that struck him was also surrounded by people, a man taking a rock to the window to get the driver out. a man pulled away, "fucking christ, he's drunk!"

"no," i cried, "no!"

"shawn please don't die, i need you! i love you so much!!" i was sobbing now, as i knew there was very little hope for him.

i took off my sweater and my jacket and put them both under his head, hoping to stop the bleeding.

just minutes ago, we were talking about our summer plans, tours and he told me how much he loved me. i cried harder when i realized that that was probably the last time i would ever hear him say that. my breathing caught in my throat and i covered my mouth with my hand, my breathing coming out in gasps. taking my hand away, i leaned down and pressed my lips to his.

i wished that this was all a dream.

that he would wake up and kiss me back, but i knew that wasn't going to happen.

sirens roared in the background and i seen red and blue lights flashing in the distance.

"baby," my chin quivered, "i'm so sorry, so so s-sorry."

when the ambulance pulled up, the sirens silenced. paramedics opened the backdoor and ran towards us with a stretcher. another hurried behind the first, a red bag slung over their shoulder.

a paramedic kneeled down beside him and pressed her fingers against his wrist, trying to find a pulse. she moved to his neck, her brows furrowed in concentration. she looked at me and i knew what she was going to say, i was just dreading the words.

"i'm so sorry, but i think he's gone sweetheart," she said quietly as fire trucks pulled up beside the ambulance.

my head started to spin.

shawn can't be dead, that's impossible.

"i need this car lifted stat!" a paramedic ordered as multiple firemen hurried over to us.

"no, no, no please! he can't be dead, he can't be-" a sob rippled through my body and it felt like i ran into a brick wall.

"we will take him to the hospital and asses him immediately, but don't get your hopes up hun, because this is pretty serious," she said as the firemen began to lift up the car that had him caged to the ground.

when the car was up high enough for shawn to be pulled out, the paramedics gathered to guide his mangled body onto a wooden board which was placed on a stretcher. my gaze caught his legs and i gasped, a muffled cry leaving my lips. the bone on his right knee was exposed and both were bleeding heavily.

a policeman approached me as shawn was rushed off, preventing me from following them. i thrashed, trying with everything in me to get to the ambulance before it left. with sirens wailing, it pulled away and sped off down the street, causing me to collapse to the ground in tears. the policeman lifted me up and carried me to the side of the road, sitting me down on the grass of someones front yard.

"miss, i need you to calm down okay?" his voice rang through my head, "your leg is sliced open, i need a paramedic over here!"

"s-shawn," i sobbed, covering my face with my hands.

another paramedic came over with the same red bag, opening it and grabbing a sterile wipe and gauze. he cleaned the cut, and i cried out in pain. when that was finished, he secured the wrap with a clip and guided me to my feet.

"i am going to take you home, okay? will you be able to tell me how to get there?" the police officer asked softly.

i hesitated, "y-yes."

"great," he said, helping me to the car.

once inside, i told him to get to my house. he drove in silence, nothing but the radio playing quiet music in the background. when we arrived, i didn't even say goodbye before i was out of the car and limping towards the front door.

wc: 1123

all works by me:
- shawn mendes imagines
- therapy |s.m|