gender reveal

shawn mendes imagines
imagine vii
-
kate's pov

shawn held both of my clammy hands in his, both nervousness and excitement making our stomachs do circles.

i was three and a half months pregnant, and today our families had organized a gender reveal for us. we ordered custom confetti poppers for every member of the family that came, and got shawn's dad to enter either 'blue' or 'pink' into the order form online.

we all were standing in shawn's parents front yard, watching as manny and karen handed out the poppers to everyone.

shawn squeezed my hands again, "i can't believe we get to find out the gender today. i'm so happy, my love." he moved his hands to my still tiny bump, and i smiled softly.

"me too," i grinned, placing my hands on top of his, "i'm so, so happy."

shawn grinned, leaning down and pressing his lips to my forehead. they lingered against my skin for a moment, before he stood straight up again and rocked once on his heels.

since the beginning of our relationship, shawn has expressed his want for a child. after trying for a couple months, with no success, i found out that indeed; we were pregnant.

shawn was ecstatic when i told him, and he started buying things and planning immediately.

the baby wasn't even born yet, and i could already see how amazing a dad shawn actually was.

"okay," karen said, breaking me from my trance as she came towards us, "everyone has a popper. are you guys ready?"

shawn squeezed my hand for the hundredth time today, "we're so ready."

karen squeezed my arms and nodded, backing away and standing with the rest of the family.

she didn't know the gender either, and was as excited as shawn and i to find out.

i sent a glance to my dad, who stood next to my grandmother. he was arranging her hands on the popper, showing her what end to pull off. smiling, i re-focused my gaze on our joined hands.

"okay!" aaliyah said, gripping her popper, "on the count of three!"

"one!" i squeezed shawn's hand hard.

"two!" shawn did the same.

"three!" as everyone's voice chorused out the last number, bring pink confetti filled the sky. screams and cheers echoed all around me, and my mouth fell open.

covering my mouth with my hands, i felt shawn's strong arms wrap around me and lift me off the ground. on instinct, i wrapped my arms around his neck as he spun me around.

he put me down, his hands cupping my cheeks, "my love! it's a girl."

"i know," i didn't realize i was crying until shawn reached up and wiped away a tear, "i'm so happy. oh my god."

another body slammed into me, and i seen my sister; who held her eleven month old daughter on her hip. she too was crying as she embraced me, "babe! i'm so happy for you!"

"thank you," i sniffled, leaning down and cooeing at the small baby that stared up at me, "i can't believe i get one of you." she clutched onto my index finger, and i bit my lip.

my grandmother threw her arms around me next, a crying mess, followed by dad. i embraced them both, unable to fight my smile away.

"i'm so happy for you, sweet girl," nan whispered,  pressing her lips to my head, "you're going to be the best mother."

i felt my eyes well up again, "i've learned from the best." my mother passed away when i was sixteen, and my grandmothers role in me and my sisters life became greater.

she squeezed my hand and pointed over my shoulder, causing me to turn and see shawn getting pulled into a hug by karen. i smiled, facing her again, "i'm so happy that you get to go through life with shawn. you guys are perfect."

"nana," i laughed as a tear slipped down my cheek, "you're going to make me cry."

"i'm sorry," she held her hands up and backed away, laughing, "i can't help the tears, i'm just so proud of you."

i squeezed her hands once more before i was greeted by aaliyah, who threw herself into my arms, "kate! i'm so happy for you!" even though aaliyah is now seventeen, i am still not used to her height.

i hugged her back, a strong feeling of happiness surging through me, "thank you, liyah."

she pulled away from me, "have you thought about names?"

"shawn thinks we should name her after mom," i smiled softly, "theresa."

aaliyah smiled, "that's perfect, truly."

after making talk with aaliyah, then karen, i found shawn; talking with brian.

i walked up to him and wrapped my arms around his torso from behind, causing him to spin around and narrow his gaze on me, "hey, sweet girl." he pressed a quick kiss to my cheek.

"yes," i said, smiling up at him.

he furrowed his brows together, "yes?"

"i think we should name her theresa," i smiled, watching as his eyes lit up.

"really?" shawn grinned even wider as he wrapped his arms around my waist and pulled my body close to his.

"yeah," i nodded, "i was thinking lynn could be her middle name."

"i like that," shawn hummed, "where did you think of it?"

"lynn is your moms middle name," i whispered, burying my head against his shoulder. i listened to his heart beat as his hands found my hips.

"i think theresa lynn suits her," shawn said, "god, i can't wait to meet her."

"neither can i," i said, looking up at him, "i'm so excited that i get to go through this with you."

shawn smiled, leaning down and kissing me gently. i grinned against his lips, and wondered in my head how i ever became so lucky.

wc: 985

all works by me:
- shawn mendes imagines
- therapy |s.m|