fire

shawn mendes imagines
imagine li
-
brooklyn's pov

smoke surrounded me, the intoxicating smell filling my lungs. i collapsed onto the hardwood floor, raspy coughs leaving my lips. i gasped, trying to inhale as much oxygen as possible. my foggy mind pondered over weather or not this was how my life would end.

i was studying for a final, when something beneath my apartment exploded. next thing i know, the whole apartment complex is up in flames.

i gasped, knowing for sure the flames were just outside my door due to the smoke seeping through my small home.

i wheezed, trying to lay as low as possible but come up with a logical way to get out.

i meekly crawled into my living room, sirens echoing outside. despite the ringing of the multiple smoke detectors around and inside my apartment, i could hear them.

tears welled in my eyes as i clambered into the far corner of the room, sobs slipping past my lips. i tried to calm myself, oxygen becoming more and more limited as seconds ticked by. weak, i reached my arms up towards the window and gripped the sill, pulling myself to my feet. my eyes fell onto multiple emergency vehicles outside, firemen and paramedics running around many feet below me.

my trembling hands wouldn't still long enough for me to open the window, and i cried again, "d-damnit, just open!" i swung around, looking for something that could smash the glass.

i supported myself along the walls as i stumbled into the kitchen. i opened multiple drawers and cursed upon finding nothing. when i opened the baking drawer, my eyes fell on a metal rolling pin.

i grabbed it and steadied myself, a dizzy spell sending me reeling.

the alarms were making my ears ring, an ache setting in in the back of my head. i groaned, hurrying back into the living room and towards the window. with my hands now shaking violently, i gripped the handle of the pin tight and connected it hard to the window. to my relief it shattered, and i spun away.

i smashed away the pieces of glass that remained along the frame and threw the pin, hurling myself against the window in attempt to get fresh oxygen.

"help me! please!" i cried, flailing my arms to catch attention of the firemen below.

a few gathered, and three more ran over with a large deflated piece of rubber.

i was confused, my eyes widening when it started to inflate. it was an air sack, and i realized what i had to do.

i had to jump.

one firemen glanced up at me, yelling, "i need you to jump!"

i tried to form words, but my cries prevented me. all i could do is shake my head.

"it's the only way out!" he yelled, "you have to! you'll be safe!"

i sobbed, turning away from the window and running my hands through my hair. my apartment was now unbearable, the smoke so thick you could no longer see the kitchen.

i had to jump.

i turned to the window again and carefully hoisted myself so i was sitting on the ledge. i kept a tight grip on the window frame, fighting off a strong feeling of nausea. i forced my eyes to the ground, everything below me seemingly spinning.

"there's not a lot of time!" a female voice called out loudly.

i screwed my eyes shut.

despite being dressed in nike sweatpants and a pullover, i was shivering.

jump.

i sucked in one last breath and i pushed myself away from the ledge. my knees buckled, and i screamed, before i collided with what was either death or destiny.

hours later
shawn's pov

as i stepped off the plane, finally home from a two month tour, exhaustion was instantly demanding me into skumber. the airport was crowded, despite the hour being midnight. i rubbed my eyes, scanning over unfamillar faces for my family.

then, out of nowhere, aaliyah came running towards me, "shawn!" i smiled, opening my arms for a hug. when she grabbed my arm and started pulling me, i furrowed my brows, "liyah?"

then mom and dad appeared, and mom held me close immediately. i was still confused, but hugged her back.

"sweetie," she said, her voice cautious.

my blood ran cold, as her tone gave off that something was wrong.

her, dad, and liyah were all fine, and i was talking to my girlfriend brooklyn before i boarded this morning, so i was worried as to what happened.

"what's going on?" i looked at dad, then aaliyah, who was pale, "guys?"

"brooklyn was involved in a fire. a pipeline in her apartment complex exploded and the whole building went up in flames," dad said softly, "there's nothing left."

my heart jarred, and i knew i had to be dreaming.

there was no way.

i almost laughed, "w-what? there's nothing left? what the hell does that mean?"

"the whole building went down," aaliyah said, "but brooklyn is okay. she got out in time."

my head was still spinning, "where is she? oh god, what? i am so confused."

"she's in the hospital, and the visiting hours have been extended due to all the family and friends that are there with other people involved," mom said, "i'm so sorry, shawn, we'll take you to see her."

i ran my hands through my hair, the information being difficult to process. i nodded, dad and aaliyah already at luggage claim waiting for my bag.

"brooklyn-" i croaked, catching moms attention.

i couldn't deal with the thought of her in that situation, and i was trembling in worry. she hugged me again, kissing my forehead, "i'm so sorry, shawn, c'mon." with one assuring squeeze to my hand, she lead me out of the airport.

wc: 983

all works by me:
- shawn mendes imagines
- therapy |s.m|