cross the line

shawn mendes imagines
imagine xxiv
-
emerson's pov

after a long shift at the hospital, i was finally ready to head back to my apartment and sleep. after my shift ended, i grabbed my stuff out of the locker room and made my way to the subway that was a one minute walk away. i am currently in school to become a nurse, working odd hours at the local hospital for experience. i worked all day today, as the clock was now nearing seven o'clock.

when i arrived at the subway, i waited for the train to pull up. an ahce shot through my back, causing me to lean against a wall and sigh softly.

after a minute, the horn sounded. 

i pushed myself off the wall and stepped towards the tracks, hearing a low chuckle arise from behind me. i turned, seeing a group of four guys huddled together. they met eyes with me, and i turned back around immediately; an uncomfortable feeling creeping through me.

when the train stopped completely and all the doors swung open, i stepped in and sat near the front of the cart. i tucked my bag onto my lap once seated, hoping the guys i seen wouldn't sit near where i was.

to my despair, they did.

i tried to block the seat next to me, but one sat in it. the other two sat in front of me, and the other behind. i tensed, clutching my bag closer to my chest and flicking my gaze to the window. i was gripping it so tight i was pretty sure my knuckles were turning white.

"what's up, pretty lady?" the one beside me asked me, my brian spinning into overdrive as i thought of all the ways that this could end.

"hmm, don't talk?" the one behind me pulled the hair away from my neck as he spoke. i moved away from him as a chill ran down my spine. a chuckle arose from beside me, "c'mon, we don't bite."

fear climbed up inside me, knowing that they would only follow me when it was my stop. i continued to stay silent, keeping my gaze on the the window as the train sped steadily along the tracks.

"how about we go get a drink once we're out of here?" the one from behind me asked again, prodding for a response from me.

"i'm going out with my boyfriend," i lied, my heart racing.

i didn't have a boyfriend, but i figured if they thought i did; maybe they would lay off. they didn't though, the one in front of me only laughing sharply, "we aren't dangerous, we just wanna get to know you."

the train haulted to a stop, and i thought if i got off, i could ditch them and catch a cab back to my place. i stayed still, every part of me numb with fear.

more people piled on, quickly finding a seat and occupying themselves with their phones or a magazine. i sighed to myself when the doors shut again.

the guy next to me slung his arm around my shoulders, and i wondered how nobody around me seen this happening. i flinched, sinking my teeth harder into my bottom lip.

"hey babe," a voice said, causing me to snap my head up and see a tall brunette standing in the aisle by my seat, "how was work?"

"u-uh," i hiccuped suddenly, "good." i tried to figure out if i knew the guy that now stood in front of me, but my mind refused to work.