formal {valentines day imagine}

shawn mendes imagines
imagine xcix
-
jordan's pov

the music was loud, people scattered all around the dance floor enjoying themselves. since it was valentines day, that meant that the annual valentines day dance was being held at a hotel lobby in downtown pickering. our gymnasium, so we're always offended the homewood suites lobby.

i was wearing a red, full length dress that was red and styled by sheri hill, my hair was pulled up into a fancy ponytail with loose pieces framing my face and i had a full face of makeup done.

i was supposed to be here with my boyfriend of five months, shawn, but last night we had a fight which ended in him saying that he no longer was coming.

i was crushed, and the only thing that kept me from backing out too was promising my best friend, anya, we would get ready together.

now, i stood alone in a corner, watching as people danced with their friends and loved ones.

taking a sip of my water, i sighed.

anya approached me, standing beside me and staring at the dance floor. 

"do you want to come dance?" she asked over the music.

i shook my head, looking down, "i'm good here."

"no you're not, c'mon, this is our last ever valentine's day formal as seniors! we graduate in june and then we are out of here, how about we enjoy it together?" she asked, "please don't let this fight between you and shawn ruin your night."

i hesitated, "i guess so."

she smiled, grabbing my arm and tugging me to the dance floor where out other friends, jade, jessy and mariah were waiting. they beamed upon seeing me, huge smiles on all of their faces.

"you finally decided to come and dance!" mariah cheered over the booming bass.

"yeah," i said quietly, the word not being heard over the music.

song after song played, and slowly, i found myself letting loose. i was beginning to enjoy myself, knowing anya was right.

this will be my last valentine's day formal as a senior, so i had to make it good.

my mood faltered as a slow song played, a lump rising in my throat as the girls' boyfriend's approached them.

Anya gave me a concerned look, and i nodded and wove her off with my hand. she smiled and took lucas' hand, being led away into the crowd of people.

i went back to where i was standing before, biting my lip as tears gathered behind my eyes. I looked down, fiddling with my freshly manicured fingernails.

shawn not being here wasn't what bothered me, but not knowing where we stood was.

we're we still together?

are we officially broken up?

i felt a tear rush down my cheek, and i immediately wiped it away. i continued to fiddle with my fingers, when someone in front of my cleared their throat.

i looked up, seeing non other then shawn standing mere meters away from me.

i was shocked, my mouth agape as he took my hand in his and led me to the dance floor with no words being exchanged between us.