bad dream

shawn mendes imagines
imagine xxxviii
-
jess's pov

"i'm sorry, miss, but there is no shawn mendes at this hospital," the lady at the front desk said for what had to be the fifth time.

i clenched my teeth through a cry, "i-i just got a call saying he was brought in after a car wreck. it was this hospital. he is here!"

"i'm sorry," the lady repeated, "but he's not on file. let me check with a doctor quickly." she picked up a phone, requesting a doctor to the front desk. i missed his name, as my thoughts were too overpowering.

my boyfriend, shawn, and i, had a massive fight earlier this evening. it ended up in him storming out, muttering that he would be back eventually. i waited for hours for him to come back home, but eventually decided to go to sleep. then, my phone rang, and it was the hospital. they informed me that he was a part of a hit and run, and wasn't in good shape.

now, here i was, breathless in nothing but leggings and a sweater, being told that he wasn't at the hospital.

i ran my fingers through my hair quickly, wiping away a tear that fell down my cheek.

i seen a tall doctor step towards the desk, smiling at me despite my state.

"i have a young girl here wondering about a shawn mendes. car accident victim? he's not in the system, but maybe i'm doing something wrong," the lady said, my eyes now locked on the man.

his expression fell, and he turned to me, "hi there. i was shawn's doctor, actually-"

"you were? thank god, because i-" relief flooded through me when the man said he worked with shawn directly, but he cut me off.

"despite out best efforts, he did not make it. his heart wasn't beating when he arrived, and we tried our best to start it again. we brought him into surgery, but he was already gone," he said quietly, stepping towards me, "i'm so sorry, miss, were you in relation to mr.mendes?"

i fell to the floor instantly, sobs shaking me violently. both the receptionist and doctor rushed to my aid, "h-he was m-my b-boyfriend."

shawn couldn't be dead.

he couldn't.

the last things i got to say to him were the most hurtful, and i would never be able to tell him how sorry i was.

"no," i cried, "h-he can't be dead. bring h-him back, p-please. bring him back!" they helped me to a small chair, but i fell forwards against another doctors shirt.

i was clawing at them, begging them to bring shawn back.

the doctor that was supporting me pulled my body from his, "calm down, okay?"

"no! y-you let him die! h-how could you?" i spit, crying into my hands, "y-you killed him!"

my heart clenched and shattered, falling into pieces to the bottom of my chest. i didn't know what people passing thought, but i didn't care.

"jess," the doctor said again, taking me by surprise.

"how do you know m-my name?" i questioned weakly.