16. A Comrade

Amu POV
(In the girls volleyball gym)

The girls volleyball team is completely different from the boys volleyball team. The boys are more lax and even if they are practicing intensely, they know how to have fun every once in a while and joke around.

On the other hand, the girls volleyball team isn't similar to the boys volleyball team at all. Just by entering the gym as a newcomer, I can already feel the tension and pressure the girls have. Yet once I come into the gym, they disperse into their own little groups.

The girls quietly gossip about my sudden appearance in the gym. Judging from their expressions, it's best to assume that they know Ushijima recommended me to the girls volleyball team. I can't tell whether or not this is a moment I wish I could be invisible and have no one notice me. This is the type of attention I hate.

No one steps forward to ask who I am, but I could feel everyone's eyes on me. I don't see Kimiko around either so she's not there to save me. I'm by myself for this one.

I clear my throat to get everyone's attention and look straight at them. "My name is Amu Kawasaki and I want to join the girls volleyball team as a winger spiker that will eventually be the ace of the team," I declare and everyone's eyes widen hearing me.

A medium length brown hair girl comes out with a volleyball in her hand and examines me.

"I'm the captain of the team. I heard about you from Kimiko yesterday. We don't normally accept newcomers to the team unless they have previous experience, but in your situation we will allow you to join under the recommendation of Ushjima," she says as she plays with the volleyball in her hand. "If he says you're a good player, I would have to assume that you are and put you up as a regular player."

A slight frown forms on my face hearing the tone in her words. "I know Ushijima recommended me to the team, but I don't want to be on the team under the pretext of his name. I want to be in this team through my own skill level," I state and snatch the volleyball from her hand. "I want you to test me for my skills. I don't want you to assume that I'm good without seeing me play."

"Pfft. Hahahaha! I like this kid," a long red hair girl grins seeing me. She pats me on the back and I almost lose my balance. "She has the same blunt confidence as Ushijima, no wonder why Ushijima chose her~"

I sweatdrop. I wasn't going for that.... Wait a minute. I stare at closely and notice an uncanny resemblance to certain person I know very well.

"Yep. What you're thinking is probably right~ I'm Tendou's younger sister, Seki," she proudly states and I immediately take a step back hearing her sudden words.

There's actually another Tendou in the world of the opposite gender... I just pray she's not the same as him or else it's going to be a nightmare no matter where I go.

"I'm surprised you didn't notice that captain has a younger brother as well," Seki happily pokes the captain's cheeks while the captain keeps a straight face. I sweatdrop. I prefer not to know. If she's related to Goshiki, I'm so done with my life.

"My name is Kazue. You should know my little brother his name is Kenjiro Shirabu," she states and my eyes widen.

I did not expect that.

"Don't worry Amu, we're the only ones with siblings from the boys volleyball team," Seki giggles. "I'm not a blocker though like Onii-chan. I'm just a libero. Kazue on the other hand is a setter like her younger brother, but she's a good spiker as well~"