50. Resolute gaze

Amu POV
(Day before the Spring High Preliminaries - Early Morning)

I have been coming here everyday with no luck whatsoever. Every time I asked for Wakatoshi's mother and grandmother to come out to talk to me they won't bother to look my way. Today is the last day for me to come here in the morning because tomorrow is the Spring High Preliminaries.

Our team is ready and I'm ready for tomorrow. I'm sure Wakatoshi and his team are ready as well, but there's one more thing I need to make sure of today, whether or not Wakatoshi's mother and grandmother are coming.

I tighten my fist. I need to convince them to come to the Spring High Preliminaries today. Even though they have shown no sign of coming to the Spring High Preliminaries, I can't lose hope now.

"Today's the last day isn't it, before your games?" Shikamaru asks me interrupting my thoughts and I nod my head.

"It is," I answer. "Thanks for driving me here everyday, I know I was asking for a lot from you."

"No problem, I'm just helping a future Ushijima," Shikamaru comments.

A future Ushijima...

I blush realizing the meaning to his words.

"D-Don't say that!" I cover my bright red cheeks and he snickers.

"I'm joking," he grins. "But you know he'll appreciate everything you do for him no matter the results," Shikamaru reassures and I shake my head.

"I know, but I want the best results. I want them to come watch him play the sport he loves," I tell Shikamaru and he looks at the Ushijima's residence.

"You know Amu you really are amazing. You come here everyday without your determination faltering. I'm sure no one can do what you're doing right now," Shikamaru compliments.

I awkwardly scratch the back of my neck. "Thanks."

Vibrate~ Vibrate~ Vibrate ~

I hear my cellphone vibrate, but when I check my cellphone I realize that it's not cellphone vibrating, but Shikamaru's cellphone that's vibrating.

"Hm already..." Shikamaru says suprised and smirk forms on his face. Shikamaru puts his hands on my shoulders and directs me toward the entrance of the Ushijima residence. "You should go off ahead. I need to do something but I'll come right back," Shikamaru says and goes off somewhere.

I tilt my head. I don't know what's gotten to him, but I'll let him do what he needs to do.

I look back at the front of the Ushijima residence and I knock on the door.

"This is Amu Kawasaki! I know I've been here for the past three weeks, but I need to speak to you today!" I shout, but there is no response.

I grit my teeth. I can't give up yet. "Tomorrow will be the Spring High Preliminaries and Wakatoshi will be playing there so please support him by coming!" I convey my message, but again there is no response.

I bite my bottom lip in frustration.

Just what am I doing! I tightly clench my fist to the point that I digging deeply into that my skin.

The door creaks open and I look up to see Wakatoshi's grandmother with a scornful look on her face and her daughter standing right behind her.

"What do you want, you're disturbing me and people around here. I can call police authorities to take you away from here," Wakatoshi's grandmother says in a bitter tone and I bow my head down again.