21. Speed is Key

Amu POV
(Shiratorizawa v.s. Date Tech)

The beads of sweat falling down my face as my pulse quickens by every passing moment. My eyes constantly following the volleyball. I lick my lips and stay in position.

Current score:
Shiratorizawa - 1
Date Tech - 0
2nd Game~ 20-14

A few more points away from winning the game. These next few plays will determine whether or not we will have the quick win for this game or not.

I watch Kimiko serve the volleyball and the other team's libero receives it. The volleyball goes from the libero then the setter. The setter positions herself to the volleyball and I observe the subtle movements of the setter.

Who will the setter pass the volleyball to? Who seems to appear open? What player can handle the pressure? I notice the quick eye movement between the setter and the wing spiker on the right side of the court.

There!

I sprint to the right side of the court and immediately jump up in the air. The spiker's eyes widen seeing my sudden appearance. She does her spike, but falters. I take advantage of this and block the volleyball.

The volleyball falls to the opponent side and I pump my fist. "Yes!"

My opponents stare at me with disbelief and caution while my team cheers me on.

"Haha give them a good run off their own money," Seki laughs.

"Nice Amu!" Kimiko grins.

Nao nods her head in approval.

"Girls keep it up we only have a few more points!" Kazue shouts with a clap to make everyone focus back to the game.

The volleyball game continues with a few points here and there. Shiratorizawa is known as a great team by many, but Date Tech is just the same. A match with them for the first round isn't going to be easy. No one wants to lose.

Over time, Date Tech does catch up with 20 points, but at the same time we gain some points and end up being only a point away from winning the match.

Kazue serves the volleyball and the opponent's captain receives it. Their setter sets the ball and learning from their mistakes avoid making obvious eye contact. The spiker on the left side spikes the volleyball, but Seki receives it in time.

"Shit. Sorry Kimiko," Seki clicks her tongue realizing the terrible receive she made.

"No problem," Kimiko says and focuses on the volleyball coming down. I watch her make a quick glance to Shiro and look at my opponents who also took notice of the exchange.

They're going to block the volleyball.

I immediately take action as Kimiko passes the volleyball to Shiro. The blockers all come together to block the volleyball, but I prevent the volleyball from reaching Shiro and spike in between the toss.

Everyone's eyes open wide. The opponents as well as my own team who didn't predict the surprise spike.

The referee blows his whistle. "Game goes to Shiratorizawa!" He announces.