S1. New Years

Fortune Telling Paper slips

Ushijima POV

I wonder why people believe in paper slips that either say you're lucky or you're unlucky. A piece of paper can't guarantee your luck, but people still believe in it anyways no matter how illogical it sounds.

Right now I'm in line with the boys volleyball team and Amu at a nearby shrine getting our paper fortune slips.

"Great blessing! Great blessing! Great blessing!" Goshiki chants loudly to himself.

"Chanting isn't going to help you get the fortune paper slip you want," Amu bluntly points out.

"Just let him do what he wants," Shirabu sighs.

"Watch him be the one to get the great curse," Kawanishi snickers.

"Don't jinx it!" Goshiki shouts and the three of them stare at him with a deadpanned look.

<I hope he gets the great curse> they all think to themselves.

Ohira chuckles overhearing their conversation. "It's nice coming here every once a year as a group."

"True, but I always get a small blessing every year," Semi sighs. "I feel like it's a curse."

"You're lucky that it's a blessing to begin with Semi," Yamagata points out.

"But the best blessing to get is -- duh duh duh! Great blessing!" Tendou exaggerates. "Can't have a great year without it!" Tendou turns to me. "What do you think Wakatoshi-kun?"

"It doesn't matter," I answer.

We all line up to get our fortune slips.

Once I get my fortune, I unwrap my fortune and see 'middle blessing' on it.

That's not too bad I think...

I glance over to Amu, but she seems to still grabbing her fortune.

I wonder what's she'll get.

"Super Lucky!" Tendou jumps for joy. "I'm going to win the lottery!"

"Win the lottery?" I question his logic as he comes over and shows off his fortune.

Great blessing.

Does a piece of paper determine that?

I thought this was just a fun activity that everyone does out of the pure joy, but some people like Tendou and Goshiki take this a little too seriously.

"It does!" Tendou exclaims. "Fortunes have specific lists of fortunes to the aspect of ones life that can change a person's year." He happily puts his hands in his hips. "And I'm just that lucky kid for this year."

"..." I stare at him confused.

What does he---

"Wahhhh!!!!!" Someone screams in pain.

Everyone hears a scream and looks over to see Goshiki who just gotten his fortune.

"Great curse.... wahhhh!!!!! I have the worse luck ever!" Goshiki cries and falls to the ground. "I'm not going to be the ace this year!"

Everyone sweatdrops as they watch Goshiki falls apart over a small piece of paper that's says a couple of words.

Semi clears his throat. "You know Goshiki you're lucky. You're the only one who got any sort of curse. Everyone here got a blessing."

"...You're right...." Goshiki says with strange fire burning in his eyes. "I'm super lucky! Watch me this year I'll be the number one ace!!!!"

"Don't make an excuse. Goshiki has great curse that's just means he's even more unlu--" Shirabu tries to argue, but Tendou covers his mouth.

"Shh... let the little boy be happy," Tendou says.

A vein pops on Shirabu's head and he moves Tendou's hand from his mouth.

I look back at my fortune. "Ohira what did you get?" I ask.

"I got half-blessing. Not as good as a blessing, but it's better than what Goshiki has," Ohira smiles.

Hm.... I guess fortunes do make somewhat of a difference to people's lives if they get something lucky, they'll happy and brag. If they get something unlucky like Goshiki then they'll try to ignore it or find a way to be lucky.

The logic.

"Waka-kun what did you get?" Amu asks me.

"Middle blessing," I answer and her eyes widen.

"Really me too, I have the same blessing," Amu says surprised.

I wonder what happens if you have the same blessing?

"Oh same blessing is it meant to be~" Tendou pops up in the middle of us.

Amu's face blushes bright red. "N-No it isn't! It's just a coincidence!!" She argues and Tendou shakes his head.

"Nope~" Tendou says and sneakily take both of our fortunes slips and examines them. As he goes through it, his eyes start to widen in surprise. "Hey everyone check it out! Amu and Wakatoshi have the same exact fortune!"

Everyone goes around Tendou curious of what he meant. Tendou shows the two slip of papers.

One's desire ~ throughout all the struggles in life you will always want to be with the one you love.

Studies ~ successful learning with many given opportunities in the near future.

Romantic relationship ~ you will face many struggles and challenges but with your loved one you will be able to get through it and be with that person for forever.

Childbirth ~ you will have happy, healthy children.

Marriage Proposal ~ you will experience a proposal that is unique and unforgettable when the time comes.

"That's sort of cute," Semi comments surprised to see two of the same exact fortunes.

"Does having the same blessing mean that we're going to be together forever?" I ask.

Everyone turns to Amu.

"O-Of course not!" Amu argues, but her cheeks are rosy pink in embarrassment.

If I believe in fortune will it actually happen. I look back the fortune slip. If that's the case, then I'll start to believe in fortunes.