Forty Nine || Tease

I heave a sigh. "Clearly, something much different than you," I start to answer his question. "There's eight people in my family, James, we hardly ever got the chance to go out and when we did, the place was nothing like this," I glance around the fancy room.

His face looks a bit guilty, but that was not my goal. I just wanted to make sure that he knew that a lot of the things that he experienced as a kid, I never had the chance to.

"Sorry, that came off wrong," I tell him and bring a fork full of food up to my mouth.

He shakes his head, "No, it's alright. Sometimes I forget that you come from a large family," he tells me, taking a sip of his water.

I nod and start into my meal. After we finish our meals, we wait for the waitress to come back, so he can tip her.

James stands up and holds out his hand to me. I look up at him and smile, interlocking my fingers with his.

He starts leading me towards the direction of the kitchen. He pushes through the tall black doors. There are rows and rows of stoves and counter space. Everyone looks pretty busy, cooking, bringing meals out to the tables.

James leads me to a large counter top where there were about four chefs working. "Hey dad," he says and they all look up.

The man closest to us steps towards James and hugs him and then me. It wasn't too awkward, but somehow I still felt it lingering.

"So what brings you two here tonight?" he asks, leading us away from the crowd of his employees.

James shrugs, "I was just taking Vena out," he glances at me and then back at his dad.

He nods, "Well, good, I just wanted to say hi to you guys before you left. Your mother and I never get to see you anymore," he says looking at James.

"I know, I'm sorry," he apologizes.

I look at the two of them.

"Well, I must be getting back to work, drop by the house sometime, James. Your mother misses you," he smiles and turns back to the other chefs.

James gives my hand a little squeeze reassuringly as he leads me out of the large kitchen. He keeps walking past our table we were at earlier and out the doors. As soon as we step outside, I feel an ice cold breeze hit my face.

_

_

As James started to drive, he wasn't going the direction to go home, just kept driving further into the city.

I didn't ask about it because he is telling me about a story about him and his family when he was young.

He suddenly turns into the direction of the Cineplex. Then I came to realize that he is taking me out on the cliche type of date: dinner and a movie.

James pulls into a parking spot and takes the key out and shoves them into his pant pocket. He opens his door and steps outside.

I get out as well, following him around to the side that he's standing at, right in front of him. He turns to me and had that serious expression he gets when he's either about to admit to something or he is really guilty of something.

"I didn't want to bring this up tonight, but I thought that I better clear the air between us," he pauses and grabs my hands in front of him.

He looks straight into my eyes like he is trying to take my soul or something, I have a feeling that this situation is about to get a lot more intense.

"I thought taking you out tonight could make things better between us. I thought maybe this would make up for the way I treated you. I was wrong, okay, I know that because I didn't tell anyone and it made me this angry person. Vena, I should have been honest as soon as I found her," the city lights shined off his face, even his eyes shining.