Fifty Seven || The City

Vena's Point of View

After James and I got the tree decorated and looking very pretty we played a board game. I know, very random, but I have been getting pretty bored around here.

I knew that James is competitive, but I didn't realize that it was this bad. Although, I don't think that I could really talk considering that I am probably more competitive than him.

I couldn't really tell if he is actually mad at me or not, I mean I keep sending his pieces' home, and I am winning.

He pulls up a two card and moves one of his pieces to the track of the game. A smile appeared on his face.

I grab a card from the top of the pile and look at it. 'Sorry!' is what is says on it. Really he should have saw this coming.

I put the piece he just but onto the board back into his start area. When I look at him face, he looks so unbelievably pissed that I just did such a thing.

I smile at his rage. He's so mad that he's losing, it's absolutely hilarious.

After a few more plays, I have all my pieces in home. He stands up, "I will not lose in my own home!" he shouts. He didn't sound mad, actually in sort of looked like he was going to smile or laugh.

I look up at him and raise an eyebrow. A smile breaks out on his face. "I'll get you back," he tells me likes it the truth (It's clearly not).

I laugh at him. "Okay, whatever you say."

We are silent for a few a moment.

"So what do you want to do now?" I ask him.

James shrugs and sits down beside me on the couch. "I don't know, but I want to do something," he sighs.

He's right, I'm bored just watching T.V. all night and it's too cold to go for a walk, or even go ice skating.

I mean, I guess that we could go get coffee, but even that seems boring.

James turns to me and grabs my hand and tries to pulls me, but I certainly didn't think he was going to randomly pull me up, so I was definitely unprepared for it.

"Come on," he tells me. I stand up and let him lead me to where ever we are going. We put on our shoes and shut the apartment door behind us.

He led me to the elevator and instead hitting the main floor button, he hit the top floor button.

"James, where are we going?" I ask him.

He smiles, "You'll see."

I didn't say anything after that. I just let the elevator take us to the top floor.

There is a ding and the doors open. James led out of the elevator and down to long highway.

He stopped when he came to a door that said patio. He pulls a key out out his pocket and unlocks the door. Where on earth did he get that?

We walked up the staircase. Finally, when we made it up the stairs, there was another door. James pushed it open and I feel a whoosh of wind hit my face.

I walked out across the concrete, to the railing. I feel as the wind hits my face, making my cheeks feel cold. I never knew this this place even existed, yet James does and I have been living here longer than him.

As I look out, I can see more of the city than the terrace in our apartment. I can't believe that I didn't know about this place.

It's so peaceful out here. I smile at the sight, this is why I will always love New York City, it's imperfect in every way and I think that makes it perfect.

"Isn't it something?" James's voice snaps me out of my trance. I smile out at the view and his voice: My two favorite things.

I look at him and smile, "It really is. How did you find out about this place?" I ask him.

"Can't tell you," he tells me.

My jaw drops, "Seriously?" I ask, my voice laced with humor.

He nods, smirking.

We sat outside on the patio chairs for I don't know how long, but as we sat there, the night creped ahead and the city got busier and busier.

We didn't talk much, we just sat in a perfect silence, leaving us to our thoughts.

"What do you suppose is out there?" I ask him few minutes later.

He looked away from the view and on to me, "You know what is out there, Ven."

I shake my head, "No, I mean more within the buildings and the people. How can we possible know who they are based off how they look. What about underground? Could there be much more, or is this it?"

He smiles and looks down and then back at me, "I think that there is a lot more than we know about because people don't look hard enough."

I nod and look back to the city.

This city is the dust of our ancestors and the ruins of society.

I think that this city is unsure of who it really is what lies within it. When I think deeper and deeper about this place, I think that it is a lot less innocent then people make it out to be.

I remember when I was younger and was a Central Park, I was with Charley and Orlando. I remember the face of a man who was there. He didn't look any different than any average business man, except for his eyes. I still remember the color of his blue orbs, they were nowhere near inviting, they made you feel like you had a gun to your head. I knew when I looked at his eyes in that park that he wasn't normal man at all, in fact he looked somewhat dangerous. When someone walked up to him that day, he smiled, but his eyes did not.

This city is not normal, not even close.

"Okay, let's head inside. You're going to freeze to death," he tells me. I hadn't noticed that I was shaking until he mentioned anything about it.

I nod, agreeing. Maybe it wasn't the cold that made me shake, maybe it is the thought of this city and what lies within it.

______________________

Okay I am just realizing how dramatic the end of this chapter is. I guess that's what happens when you listen the Divergent soundtrack while writing it... whoops. Anyways, I think that I did a good job writing her ending thoughts, I hope that they were insightful to you.

By the way, I am thinking about writing an action novel, I am just not sure yet. I mean, I have written like two chapters, but I am realizing how much harder this is then writing about Teen Fiction.

Anyway, so yes, I did update twice, but really I just wrote a chapter and split it in half because I hate writing in two POVs in the same chapter. 

I almost got lazy again today and wasn't going to update, but here I am. 

Thanks,

BWS❄️