Chapter 1 - Worlds Collide

A/N: I don’t own anyone but my OC’s…though I wished I owned the rest….*sighs*

 The rain was driven in sheets as the slender figure carefully stalked through the woods.  It plastered to her skin and hair, soaking her clothing as she treaded through the beds of pine needles and leaves, stopping every so often to listen.  The rain continued to pelt the forest floor, drowning out the other sounds of the night.  But then again she didn’t rely solely on her hearing.  Years of hunting had taught her to use all of her senses when stalking one’s prey.  She knew she was being watched, somewhere, out in the woods that surrounded her like cold silent sentinels.  The trees refused to give up the secrets they concealed but still she continued on. 

                I know you’re out there…..I can feel you watching me……

                Her posture stiffened but it wasn’t due to the chill leaching into her flesh and bones and fanning out with icy tendrils.  She felt her feet push on, carrying her rigid form step by slow sluggish step.  Ahead was the clearing where the body of the first attack victim had been discovered by some joggers not even a day ago.  She knew it had to be It…….

                The storm intensified as she reached her destination, threatening to wash away any trace of the assailant.  Reaching in her bag, she pulled out the slender light and shined it down upon the ground.  The fat droplets of rain shined against her steady beam, creating a crystalline effect upon the night air. 

                I know you’re here……

                Again the same feelings of being watched resurged across her senses.  She froze mid way and watched as her breath escaped in solid rapid puffs. 

                “Fuck….” She whispered beneath her breath and slowly closed her eyes.   With her other hand she carefully slid the gun from its resting place along her waistband.  The cool solid grip offered little comfort for her as she focused on the approaching footsteps.  The low growl rumbled across the cold heavy air, causing her to shiver despite her solid stance.  She felt a grin creep along her lips as she closed her fingers tighter around the gun.  

                One….Two….

                In one short rapid pivot, she spun around and opened fire.  Four gunshots rang across the forest followed by a short inhuman yelp. 

                “Gotcha,” she saw it crouched at the edge of the trees with eyes glowing a hateful hellish red as two of the bullets found their target.  She raised her gun and squeezed another round but the creature was ready for her attack.  It charged through the leaves and fallen branches towards the smaller figure.  The scent of the human raged through is flaring nostrils as hints of fear laced the definitive essence of sandalwood and earth. 

                She realized she was screwed and sprinted back into the woods, hearing the rustle of leaves and wood closing in behind her.  It could hear the racing of its query’s heart, knowing it was running scared.  The tables had turned against the hunter as now the hunter had become the hunted.  She forced her feet and legs faster still, ignoring the burning pain that was filling every fiber of muscle in her legs.  She couldn’t and wouldn’t relent knowing it would cost her.  Her car was just several hundred feet away and with that a chance at surviving this deadly game.