Chapter 68 - Rage Part 2

Derek stood over the hunter, watching as she took a meager sip of tea.

"Why are you here Derek?" Exhaustion clung to her voice.

"What's wrong with you?" He sensed the hunter's illness as he pulled out a chair and sat beside her.

"Why are you concerned? You made your choice; you chose Peter over us."

Stiles bit his nails raw as he watched Derek and Brooklyn. He was afraid of Derek.

"Brook," Derek dared to slide his hand over hers. "I could feel you all the way here; something's wrong."

"Yeah there is," she took another sip, "Peter. He's gotten to you."

Derek looked away as he knew if he wanted to keep tabs on the Alpha, he had to stay close to Peter. But it didn't come without a price: Watching his mate grow distant and cold.

"I know you're upset," he started to speak.

"Gross understatement," she looked sideways at him.

Stiles felt his phone go off and saw that it was Scott.

"Finally," he answered the phone and walked away.

"Where have you been? We have a matter of life and death here!"

"What did the Alpha strike again?"

"NO! The Alpha is Derek's uncle."

"What? How do you know?"

"Brooklyn's here and she's the one who told me! And now Derek's here! He's gone total Darkside!"

"What do you mean total darkside?"

"Like he chose Uncle Creepy over Brook!"

"What? No way! He's been helping us! He told me that if I kill the Alpha I can be human again!"

"Well he's apparently switched teams Scott! He's batting for the other side! You know like switching from New York to Boston bad!"

"Okay relax! I'll keep the necklace stashed for now until we figure out what's going on."

"Just get over here now!"

Stiles hung up and returned to the kitchen to see Brooklyn and Derek were gone.

"Oh damn," he knew this wasn't good.

Derek drove the Charger through the woods until he reached his house. Brooklyn was on the verge of blowing up at him for whisking her out of Stiles' house and dragging her back to the Hale Home.

"He's not here," Derek didn't detect Peter anywhere. "We can talk."

"What's there to talk about? You easily overlooked the murders of several people including Laura so you two could ride around town like Thelma and Louise!"

"I didn't have a choice!" Derek slammed his hands on the wheel.

"There is always a choice Derek," Brooklyn fired back.

"Not when he'll kill you! He said if I didn't help he would kill you."

"Think I'm gonna be sick," Brooklyn flung the door open seconds before she felt the expulsion of mashed crackers and tea purging from her body and onto the ground. Derek raced around the car as she continued to heave ever last bit of food.

"Come on," he ran his hand along her back.

"What the Hell's wrong with me Derek?"

He patiently waited until her body had gone calm before gathering her in his arms and heading inside.