Chapter 71 - Promise Broken

A/N: I don't own anyone but my OC's….though I wished I owned the rest….*sighs*

The locker room exploded in celebration as Beacon Hills was advancing in the state tournament!

"STATE! STATE! STATE!"

The word was chanted like an excited war cry. Brooklyn stayed hidden in the thick sea of faces as the crowd flowed through the gates. She wanted to talk to Stiles and Scott but all it took was one look from the sheriff and she would be locked up. The hunter couldn't feel Derek any longer and hoped that Peter wasn't the reason behind his absence. Her car was parked off in a small clearing away from the large unsightly gathering. Brooklyn started along the narrow trail, anxious to get back to the house. She needed a shower and a good night's sleep. Her body was exhausted, a symptom of the pregnancy. The hunter's thoughts were drifting in a sea of confusion and uncertainty.

Too many what ifs danced around her mind as she kept her eyes up and constantly scanning her surroundings. Thanks to Peter destroying her guns, the only thing that remained was her serrated hunting blade which now resided along her thigh. The knife was carbon steel with a thick mountain ash handle which could double as stake if any werewolves got too close for comfort.

As she neared the small clearing, her instincts kicked in to high alert. Someone was following her and it wasn't Derek. Brooklyn halted on the path, hand on the blade and poised to strike.

The Alpha crouched behind the fallen tree, watching the hunter as she looked around in a slow deliberate circle. It sensed she wasn't afraid given her tall statuesque stance and lean determined look that shined in her eyes. The wolf delicately sniffed the air, picking up the change in the human's hormones. The hunter was with young now.

Brooklyn slipped the flashlight from her jacket and flashed the beam into the black curtain that surrounded her.

"Maybe I'm getting a little paranoid," she whispered before doing a final sweep. Satisfied with seeing nothing or no one following her, Brooklyn started with a hurried pace towards the waiting Charger, unaware that she was being followed.

Derek hated himself for what he was about to be a part of.

They waited until Danny left the locker room leaving Scott alone.

"It's time," Peter sought out the main switch.

Scott was still slightly taken aback by Danny's words before he left for home.

Apology accepted….

He hadn't said anything but after the taller player said with a smile, "You passed the ball to me."

"Well yeah because you scored every time."

"Apology accepted," Danny repeated and headed out.

Scott returned to what he was doing, fishing out the deodorant on the shelf. His chance with Allison had been blown thanks to his overly enthusiastic teammate. Before he could say another word, her father was whisking her out of the locker room. Still, Scott wasn't going to give up. He had the necklace which Brooklyn wanted to examine and now that he knew what her father did, the teen was going to have to tread carefully where she was concerned.

As he finished getting around, the lights went dead. Scott looked around and called out for Danny only to discover he was the only one present. He went for the light switch but they refused to flood the room with light. Scott grew nervous as he sensed he wasn't alone. He sniffed the air finding not one but two scents present aside from his. The teen carefully stepped in the direction of the scents, pausing when something crossed the floor.