Chapter 11: Brooklyn & Derek vs. Scott & Stiles

Brooklyn sat on the bed and reviewed the articles she found regarding the fire, hoping she had missed something, anything, even if it was a single word or phrase that her eyes had overlooked. Derek Hale had once again gotten beneath her skin and the hunter was angry at herself for letting it happen. If it was one thing she prided herself on it was the ability to keep her cool. Well, except when it came to Argent and his cronies, and then she knew her anger wouldn't be suppressed.

Her fingers went around the paragraphs, word by word then skipped towards the next. Once again her search turned up nothing new. Thinking for a moment, Brooklyn weighed what other resources were available in this tiny town. This wasn't like Phoenix where she could go online and access public records day or night. No, sadly she would have to do it the old fashioned way: By letting her fingers do the walking. But then again Brooklyn wasn't one to turn down a challenge either.

Derek stood at the foot of steps as Scott and Stiles remained on the porch. Stiles was visibly fearful of the werewolf while Scott stood defiantly beside him.

"Stay away from Allison," he shouted down at Derek. Derek didn't respond but instead started up the steps and towards the trespassing teens. Stiles shirked away, afraid Derek would change and hurt him.

"Dude, let's go," he tugged at Scott's jacket but Scott didn't budge. "Let's go Scott!" His voice turned louder and more demanding.

"I didn't do anything to Allison if that's what you're thinking. I took her home to get her away from you. I left her jacket in the preserve to lead you away from everyone at the party. You're unstable Scott. You don't have control over it yet and until then you're a danger to everyone around you including Allison."

"Just stay away from her Derek! You and Brooklyn both just stay away from her!"

"Believe me when I say it won't be a problem," Derek's jaw clenched and tensed as he eyed the two teens.

"Okay he's really starting to creep me out now," Stiles was anxious to get out of there. Derek listened to his heart as it raced wildly within his chest. If it went any higher it may just burst out from its bony prison. "Okay you did what you came to do Scott now let's go before he mistakes us, or rather me, for a side of beef!"

Derek glared harder at Stiles as they slinked down the stairs and towards Stiles' Jeep. The screeching tires wailed in the air as the Jeep tore up mud, leaves and branches in a desperate effort to put as much space between them and Derek Hale.

He started up the steps but paused as something caught his attention. Derek turned and headed back to his car, realizing what it was that he was following. As he approached the passenger side Derek peered through the window and noticed Brooklyn had left something behind. Resting between the seat was a pendant: One of purple and black swirled together set against a silver backing. A thin silver chain complimented the token.

Derek carefully plucked it from the seat and stashed it in the smallest pocket of his jeans. He knew she would miss it but with how hurt she was when they parted ways, Derek decided to wait until perhaps she was of calm mind.

Stiles took his dad dinner since he wouldn't be home till later that night. The animal attack was their top priority despite the fact they had nothing else to go on other than the statements of the joggers. The DNA testing was some time out as it had to be shipped to Sacramento to the state lab.

"Hey Dad," Stiles knocked on the door, "I brought you dinner."

"Did you get curly fries?" The sheriff took the bag into his eager fingers.

"You know you can't have the curly fries," Stiles rolled his eyes.

"Well I'm the one wearing the gun so if I want the curly fries then I am going to have the curly fries," he spoke in an authoritative tone. Before Stiles could speak, there was a knock on the door.