Chapter 12 - Betrayal

A/N: I don't own anyone but my OC's…though I wished I owned the rest…*sighs*

Brooklyn carefully reviewed the file she received earlier in the day. A burger wrapper was crumpled up beside her ankle as the ice in her cup slowly melted under the heat of the meager night side stand. She chewed on the pen that rested between her teeth and lips, a habit she developed in high school and college. Markus would always gently chide her about her habit of such but Brooklyn would always shrug it off and always respond with the same answer, "At least it's not cigarettes or pot."

The hunter finished the first report, noting they ruled the fire electrical but noted suspected arson beneath. On the notepad beside her Brooklyn made a comment to look up how one could devise an electrical fire.

If the Argents were trying to be careful apparently they screwed up somewhere…..

Brooklyn was hoping to find just where and what it was the Argents did or didn't do that allowed for the authorities to come to their conclusion. She went back to the report and noticed it started in a downstairs bedroom.

Easy access….

She decided a trip to the Hale house would be in order but decided to do it when Derek wasn't around….if he ever left that is. Regardless once Brooklyn had something set in her mind she was going to do it.

If he wants closure he'll have to get over any hitches he has….

Her glasses slid down her nose but were pushed back up with a growl and a finger. With pen now tapping the notepad, her eyes went down the report but stopped when she reached the section about victims.

11 individuals in house at time of fire….

1 individual survived but seriously injured and unresponsive….

"That has to be his uncle," she whispered to herself. Brooklyn wondered where the uncle in question was at. She fired up her laptop and took the moment to stretch her arms and legs. It was then she realized she needed a shower. Tossing her glasses aside then stripping away the jeans and faded black shirt, the hunter headed towards the bathroom.

Stiles and Scott hurled dirt into air and away from the site. They had to hurry before Derek appeared in his typical silent stalker manner. They never knew when or where he would appear as he seemed to appear like a ghost and vanish as such.

"Scott," Stiles shined the light down on a burlap tarp about five feet below. Scott tossed the shovel aside and jumped down to pull away the flap. Both of their hearts thundered as Scott reached out and nervously tugged the cover aside.

"What the…." Scott stared down with mouth agape. Stiles felt his heart stop at what his eyes revealed. The upper half of what appeared to be a wolf staring back at them with eyes glazed over, shining with terror like they were recalling the instant moment of death. What was it that did such a thing?

Stiles sat back on the dirt pile, trying to comprehend what he was seeing. He scanned the grounds with his flashlight and stopped as the blinding beam landed on a light purple bloom.

"Dude check it out," Scott looked up, "Do you know what that is?"

"No," Scott shook his head. Was he supposed to know what that little purple flower was?

"It's wolfsbane," Stiles answered. His tone was one of a teacher who expected his student to know the answer. He scurried towards the plant and noticed something attached to the stem. Scott watched as his friend traced the line, discovering more wolfsbane and observing a circular pattern beginning to emerge.