Chapter 97 - Life Hangs in the Balance

A/N: I don't own anyone but my OC's…though I wished I owned the rest….*sighs*

The monitor beeped steadily, keeping in time with Brooklyn's heart. The oxygen mask remained firmly placed over her nose and mouth, providing her body with the life giving substance. Her skin was pale, almost ashen in appearance against the crisp sterile white sheets. She sunk into the pillows and linen creating a tragic beauty aura about her. Her hair was splayed behind her head and back, dull and listless in the cold unforgiving lights.

Derek refused to abandon Brooklyn and maintained vigil by her bedside. The doctors had stabilized her but refused to yield anything further than necessary. A blood transfusion had replenished the horrid amount of blood lost during childbirth.

"Derek," Markus stood at the doorway. "Dr. Fenris said the twins were doing fine and the nurse is bringing them down."

"Thank you Markus," the Alpha duly noted. The hunter entered the room and pulled up the chair adjacent to Derek. He clasped his hand upon the wolf's shoulder in a comforting gesture.

"Derek," the older man spoke up, "They're doing all they can for her."

"She…" Derek clutched her hand tightly in his. It was cool against his which only fueled his distress even greater. "I-I can't lose her Markus."

"You can't entertain that thought Derek."

"But part of it is my fault!" Derek whipped around with eyes bloodshot and bleary.

"No," Markus fired back. "Peter manipulated you! He was using you to get to Alex and Laura. Kate wanted to make her suffer and didn't care who she hurt or what she did to accomplish that."

"I should've fought harder Markus! I shouldn't have let Peter back me into a corner so easily!"

"No," Markus trembled in anger as he spoke, "Peter could've and would've killed Brook or worse: turned her against her will. You were protecting her Derek."

"I don't feel like I did Markus. I failed her. I failed her as a mate."

"You did nothing of the sort! Damn it Derek listen to yourself!"

"She's the only one I want Markus."

"Then fight for her damn it! Fight for those sweet innocent babies!"

Derek knew Brooklyn didn't want to be turned but the thought had crossed his mind. One bite that's all it took. One bite and she would never be ill or hurt again.

"Mr. Hale, Derek," Dr. Fenris rapped on the door. "I would like to discuss Brooklyn's condition."

"Anything you say can be said to Markus too," Derek gestured to the hunter. "He's family."

"Yes very well then," he held the folder to his chest then flipped it open. "Brooklyn had lost a substantial amount of blood which the transfusion took care of. She suffers extreme dehydration which will be remedied by the IV fluids."

"We already know that!" Derek snapped.

"Derek," Markus shot a look at the Alpha.

"Brooklyn suffered postpartum hemorrhaging caused by the trauma her body was forced to endure during delivery. Her body did stop some but not much of the bleeding but had it not she would've died."

"Will she be okay though?" Derek bordered on begging as he looked straight into the doctor's eyes.

"She has a 50/50 chance of making it out of this. I'm sorry Derek but I wish I had better news."

Derek knew the man was being honest and deeply sincere with his words.

"Thank you," he turned his back to Fenris. Markus motioned for the doctor to step out in the hall.