Chapter 29 - Recollections

"Tie her over there!"

The masked man dragged the unconscious woman across the ground, indifferent to the rocks and sticks ripping at her muddied jeans. Bruises were forming on her arms and neck from the savage blows dealt over and over before the final one hurled the woman into unconsciousness. Her limp body was slammed against the tree before being restrained against the ancient oak. The long soft strands covered her face as her head hung down.

"WAKE UP!" A massive hand struck the woman across the face snapping her head back and forth threatening to snap her very neck. She groaned and slowly raised her head, finding it painful to open her eyes. The dull roar that pounded mercilessly in her head made it difficult to take a simple breath.

A gloved hand tightened around bundle of copper, jerking her head up and smacking it against the tree.

"Did you really think we wouldn't find out about it? About HIM?"

"What did you do to him?" She sniffled. Blood trickled from her nose and across her lips. She knew it was broken but it was the least of her worries. The last image her mind retained was the warmth of the fire encircling them both before the door was kicked open. He had asked her if she would stay in Virginia with him to which she had responded with a deep loving kiss. The blunt object stuck the middle of the back of her head ushering in the thick black curtain.

The blood chilling screams rushed her back to the present as several others dragged the vampire out from the trunk of the car. The fire illuminated the dull wooden stake protruding from the middle of the vampire's abs.

"NO!" She broke from the trance and struggled against the thick tight rope. Her captive delivered a solid blow to her stomach, knocking the breath from her lungs. She gasped for air only to cough and spit up blood in her effort.

"This is for what happened," the back of her attacker's hand struck across the face, cutting a tiny gash along her cheek.

She felt her breath coming in short heated puffs through her teeth as a second masked figure strolled upon them. In one hand held a crop. Without uttering a word, the smaller figure slashed the crop across their body, ripping the tops of the woman's jeans. Denim turned crimson as blood seeped through the wounds and greeted warm soft cotton. The woman screamed praying for someone or something to stop the pain. She heard the pitiful wails of the vampire as another dull longer stake was driven through his shoulder.

"Stop! Stop it please!" She begged them both. Cruel cold laughter was their response.

The smaller figure lashed out again, going lower on the woman's legs. Thin skin was torn open exposing the thin layer of muscle protecting bone. She cried out into the night, knowing the vampire could hear her suffering.

"Leave her alone!" He snarled with fangs exposed. The largest one of the group replied by ripping his thigh open with a sharper stake. It was left in the undead flesh, refusing to let the muscle and skin meld together. He knew he would not survive as they were hunters; hunters who wanted them both to suffer for wanting to be together.

The woman sobbed as her lover was impaled in the other leg and shoulder. The pain raged through his body like acid was flowing through his veins.

"You bastards," she spat. Her body was weak, drained of any will to fight. They had ripped her away from the one she loved, beaten her with fist and object alike before forcing her to watch the gut wrenching scene unfolding.

One of her tormentors looked up and over to the rest of the group and gave a short nod. Her head was held up as the smaller one fisted her tangled locks and hissed hatefully in her ear.