Chapter 60 - Jeff Gordon Has Nothing on Her

She was still shaking when they returned. Derek could see how the confrontation was beginning to wage a heavy toll upon the hunter.

"I don't like killing," she hung her head. "I never have. But today…."

"Today you didn't have a choice," Derek stood before her. "They would've killed you."

"Right," she took a deep breath before lifting her gaze towards his. "Still doesn't make feel all warm and fuzzy inside though."

"Don't expect it to either," Derek shook his head.

"They'll be looking for us."

"Which is why we won't be here if they show up. Remember the last name on the list you found?"

He watched as Brooklyn pulled the list out from her pocket and went to the name at the very bottom.

"Adrian Harris, chemistry teacher," she knew what he was hinting at. "You're not going to kill him are you?"

"No," Derek was tight in his answer, "Unless he gives me a reason to."

"Let's hope not…."

Adrian Harris thought he was alone. The teacher was staying late to catch up on grading papers before noticing the time. His mind wandered as his hand swept the eraser across the board, removing the last of the day's notes. The minutes and hours had vanished without a trace as the sun had set and nightfall settled in.

He carried on and gathered his bag and notes, pausing to look at the crumpled article he had buried beneath the mountain of quizzes and assignments. It was of the Hale fire with the hollowed shell featured first and foremost on the front. Chills cascaded across his body as the teacher quickly realized he wasn't alone.

"Adrian Harris," The Alpha summoned. "Where did you get that article?"

"Laura, Laura Hale," he felt his heart quicken bordering on exploding as his back remained to the werewolf.

"Do you know why she sought you out?" The Alpha curled his fingers.

"No," he had suspected initially but the girl didn't get the chance to elaborate as she had been found dead several days later.

"I do," the Alpha taunted. "I also know that she isn't the only one tracking you down like the pathetic creature you are."

"Please! Please don't kill me," the words spewed from his mouth.

"Turn around," the Alpha demanded. "Turn around and I'll show you."

"No," Harris shook as the footfalls stomped towards him. "Please don't make me."

"Turn around and see what you did!"

The Alpha grabbed the closest desk and hurled for the man's head only to have his assassination attempt thwarted by Derek. Derek pushed Harris down milliseconds before the chair splintered against the board. He quickly looked up to see the Alpha had vanished through the door. The werewolf started for the door only to have the dark classroom bathed in a fury of floodlights.

This is the police! We have you surrounded! Come out with your hands now!

Derek knew he was screwed and hastily retreated through the same door the Alpha went. His scent was powerful but survival was more important to the werewolf. He knew his only shot was to try and shake Beacon Hills' finest through the old industrial part of town.

"One rule: No backseat or side seat driving. Do I make myself clear?"

Brooklyn threw the Camaro in gear and looked up to see the second vehicle closing the space between them.