Chapter 17 - The Truth

It wasn't what Stiles had pictured.

He sat on the toilet with hands cupping his face while Brooklyn languished in the shower. When she asked for help, he thought she meant something entirely different! Maybe washing her back for her or at the very least getting to see her in the shower! But no, Stiles was left to sit out as the sounds of rushing water only twisted the knife a little deeper in his back. But he could let his mind wander….

"Stiles," Brooklyn peeked her head out from the curtain. "Can you hand me that towel?" A dripping hand pointed towards the oversized towel just out of her reach. Stiles snatched the towel and handed it over, hoping to see just a peek. But the frosted blue prevented his wandering eye from catching a precious glimpse.

Story of my life!

"Thanks," she vanished behind the curtain then stepped out with baby blue clinging to her body. Brooklyn had been in tighter pinches before but this certainly ranked up there in strangeness factors. She felt the weight of Stiles' leery eyes looking her body up and down. Brooklyn knew he was a teenager and yes he had rampaging hormones. But she had no choice in help and had to carry on like she always did.

"So….so how are you feeling?" Stiles sat on the chair and played with his hat.

"Better," she nodded. "Thanks for asking. But would you close your eyes so I can change?"

Stiles covered his eyes with one hand, letting his fingers part ever so slightly. Such a typical teenager move! Brooklyn hurried and dried her body before letting the towel slide towards the floor. Stiles suppressed a gasp as he caught the backside of the hunter's naked body. She had a tattoo on the small of her back, a pentagram that was right side up. He made a note to look that up. Stiles continued watching Brooklyn until the tank top slipped over her upper torso. The mirror had provided a rather nice view of the front end: Her upper body and abs were toned and solid, just right for a woman her size. The tiny cuts and ripples moved like tiny waves as her body flexed and moved. Light black jacket to match.

So much better…..Lydia has nothing on this chick! Please don't let Derek know about this!

"Okay," she turned around now dressed in jeans with dark grey tank top and light jacket to match.

"Where are you going?" Brooklyn gathered her keys and popped a few Tylenol before giving an answer.

"To the jail," she grabbed her bag. "And you are coming with me."

Derek looked up to see Brooklyn standing across the bars. Her skin was paler than he remembered but could smell the sickness coming off her.

"What's happening to me Derek?"

Derek didn't miss her questioning stare, knowing she deserved the truth. It's what friends did after all.

"That night in the hotel room, I marked you."

"You marked me?" Alarm filled her voice. "What does that mean?"

"No other wolf can touch you or claim you even as a human."

"So what you hiked your leg on me is that it?"

"No," Derek shook his head. "You're a part of my pack, my family now. Some wolf packs have humans who are never bitten but stay with the pack for life."

"Okay I can live with that," she nodded.

"But there's more," Derek interrupted. "If a wolf marks someone from the opposite sex it could also mean he or she has selected their intended mate."

Brooklyn stepped back until she was against the wall. Derek heard her heart begin to pound as her eyes filled with shock. Mate? Had Derek intentionally done this knowing what it meant? Had he lied to her?