Chapter 57 - Night Cap

Brooklyn wasn't sure how she did it but she succeeded in getting Derek up the stairs and down the hall before what little strength remained was depleted. The werewolf groaned as he was dropped down into the hard mattress, feeling his body scream.

"Sorry," she ripped his shoes and jeans away then pulled the blankets up and over until they rested at his chest.

"Don't," he growled between labored breaths, "say it."

He slowly opened his eyes and looked upward without judgment in his rich emerald eyes. Brooklyn swept his hand in hers and held the sweaty palm on her face. She had felt his pain the instant the bullet ripped into his flesh; the instant the wolfsbane invaded his body.

"What can I do Derek?"

"Stay," he closed his eyes again.

"Brook," Stiles stood in the doorway. He looked at the werewolf who was sleeping on the bed then back at the hunter who had taken to his side.

"I need to head back home," he waved a shaky finger behind him.

"Yeah absolutely," she nodded. Brooklyn wanted to be alone with Derek anyways.

Stiles took off and flew down the steps then slamming the door behind him. Derek opened his eyes back up and glanced upward towards the window. He wanted to wait until the teen was gone before talking to the hunter about what he heard.

"I know what Tyhurst told you," he winced at his own words.

"Yeah," she blinked hoping to avoid tears. "Well I don't know why he said it. Probably just to piss me off and twist the knife deeper in my back."

"No," he shook his head. "He wasn't lying Brook. He told you the truth."

"I don't wanna talk about it right now okay?"

"It still hurts you, even to this day it still does."

Brooklyn swallowed back the growing lump and covered her face with her other hand. Derek looked up to see the angst written across her face. So much heartache was written across her beautiful features. The salinity of her tears played upon his sense of smell.

"Come here," he tugged on her fingers. His other hand rested on the small of her back urging Brooklyn to follow. The hunter took a deep breath, allowing her body to release the small cries that lingered in her chest. It was no wonder they were perfect for one another he wondered to himself.

Brooklyn kicked her boots off and slid the soiled shirt, jacket, and jeans off, not caring where they fell. She slipped beneath the covers and felt his body shifting and curling around hers. The hunter knew he was still greatly weakened and remembered something he had told her.

We feed off one another…

She had forgotten that she could help his battered body rebound and pressed harder against him.

"Brook, what are you doing?"

"Use me," she looked straight into his eyes. "My energy can heal remember?"

"Yes," he nodded. "I didn't forget."

"Good," her face nuzzled into his neck, coming to rest comfortably where it lay.

It was well into the night before Derek awakened. The rain pelted the window as the next autumn storm rolled in off the coast and across the hills. He was still weak but was feeling stronger than when the sun was dominant across the sky. Brooklyn had been ferocious in her battle with Tyhurst and in the end learned the bitter truth. Derek silently hoped she wouldn't shut down on him, not after everything that happened to them.