Chapter 6 - Attack

Chapter 6 - Attack

Brooklyn sat at the bar and finished off the Red Sangria before her.  She always was a sucker for a good Spanish red wine and this place did not disappoint.  She had decided to do a little more digging on the fire Derek mentioned but turned up nothing new or exciting.  The hunter motioned for another drink to which the bartended nodded and obliged.  Markus had promised to do some more research on the Argents for her but warned her they were a highly secretive family and kept to themselves.  But still she would take anything that could give her ammunition against them.  The hunter couldn’t let her guard down as Argent was watching her every move no doubt. 

                “Brooklyn,” Derek appeared beside her. 

                “Come join the party,” she slid the empty glass aside and reached for the new one.  “Speaking of which there is one tomorrow if I recall.”

                Derek slid up on the stool to her right, glancing at the screen. 

                “I’m looking for anything I may have missed,” she took a drink.  The blend of alcohol and fresh fruit was rich symphony in her mouth though the little Mexican place back home still made the best Red Sangrias.  Period. 

                “For what?” Derek raised an eyebrow in curiosity. 

                “Our good friend the Alpha,” her fingers flawlessly clicked across the keys, pulling up a reduced browser for him to see.  “Of course there’s always that string of attacks which stirs up the hunters but then nothing.  It’s strange because this Alpha is nothing like I’ve ever encountered before.  This one just indiscriminately attacked but normally an Alpha is always seeking more to add to the pack.  I’ve been following the son of a bitch for a few years now.  It always slipped away from me.”

                “Until now,” Derek added unnecessarily. 

                “Yep,” Brooklyn closed out the browser then shut her computer down.  “And it knows I’m here and it now knows you after what happened.”

                “We’ve got company,” Brooklyn turned around to see Argent entering alone.  The hunter spotted Brooklyn and Derek seated at the bar and started towards the pair. 

                “Well what do we have here?  Working with the enemy I see?”  Argent stood between them.  His eyes twinkled with arrogance as his thin smirk matched his gaze. 

                “Who invited you?”  Brooklyn turned around back to her drink.  Derek stood and placed his body between Brooklyn and Argent. 

                “Leave her alone,” he warned Argent in a low dangerous tone. 

                “Or you’ll do what Derek?  I’m rather interested to see what you’ll do, here in a public place with many potential witnesses.  It would make life very difficult for you.”

                “It takes a coward to send someone else to do his dirty work.”

                Argent simple snorted at the werewolf’s words. 

                “You’re a disgrace Brooklyn.  You’re running around with Derek Hale is shameful to your family’s name.”

                “You leave my family out of this,” Brooklyn spun around, enraged over Argent’s taunts.  Her eyes burned bright with hatred towards the older man.