Chapter 72 - Truth

A/N: I don't own anyone but my OC's….though I wished I owned the rest….*sighs*

Derek was taken aback by Brooklyn's rejection. She was flat against the wall with eyes trained like two daggers poised to strike him.

"What's there to explain Derek? You PROMISED you would be here!"

He knew her emotions were churning as the storm raged in her perfect grey rings. His mate's rebuff was twisting the werewolf's heart around, forcing his chest to painfully constrict into itself.

"I know you're angry with me Brook but sit down please? Look, you're right to be upset with me. I know I promised and I broke that promise."

Brooklyn knew she was battling her hormones as the hunter had never become unhinged by something like this. Even when Brady left her stranded in the mountains to go off with his at the time girlfriend leaving her to fend off two werewolves, she didn't lose her cool. Instead, she had left him at a gay bar for several hours at the mercy of the bartender known as Big Eric. Since that eye opening night, Brady never left her alone again for fear of another night with Big Eric.

"Where did you go Derek? Please tell me…."

Derek sat on the bed, letting his body press tightly alongside hers. His arms tenderly enveloped her shaky body, feeling the anguish bleed into his body.

"I'm so sorry for leaving you…."

Brooklyn tugged at the soft worn leather, letting her emotions silently spill forth. She hated herself for being so unstable and emotional. But she hated Peter Hale more than anything for drawing out these outbursts, inciting anguish and depression in one breath. Derek just sat there as she continued purging the pent up torment and anger. His own anger slowly simmered as Peter's demands were taking a toll on Brooklyn's mental and physical state.

Damn you Peter…

Damn you for all of this….

The hunter's phone rang and Derek allowed her to answer.

"Hello?" She sniffed.

"Brook, we need to talk!"

"Stiles, what is it?"

Derek frowned deeper as he heard the hyperactive teen's hurried voice.

"Can you come over…..Like say NOW?"

"Uh…uh yeah sure…."

Derek narrowed his eyes in suspicion but said nothing as Brooklyn hung up.

"Stiles needs to talk to me," she sighed. "Probably another Alpha sighting…."

"I'll take you," Derek's statement wasn't an offer.

"No," she shook her head. "You've done enough for one day."

"No," Derek growled. "I am not letting you out of my sight."

"Why? Because Peter doesn't need you to be his little bitch?"

She watched Derek wince at her biting tone but said nothing as he took her fury. He knew it was hard for her to comprehend everything but he was doing this for her and their child. Derek's only hope was that she would forgive him once the truth came out.

The werewolf hung his head as to hide his shameful expression. Brooklyn sensed the shift in his aura as his shoulders slumped and hands carded nervously through his hair.

"Fine," she agreed. "But stay in the car….."

"Alright," he rose and walked out first, not wanting her to see his tears.