Chapter 16 - Delirium

Stiles kept playing with his hat, hoping the distraction would take his mind away from the sleeping hunter just a few feet away. Why did he always get stuck with her? Even as she lay unconscious and shivering under the blanket, the hunter looked as if her eyes would suddenly flash open then she would leap off the bed just before pinning him against the wall or some other hard flat surface. His texts to Scott had gone ignored, only infuriating Stiles even more. But then again Scott was his best friend and with the hunters not going anywhere anytime too soon, he needed someone he could turn to.

"Derek….."

Stiles looked up as the hunter's head jerked side to side. For the last several hours she had been calling out the werewolf's name then go still on the bed. He wasn't about to go any closer towards the hunter as the blanket slipped down the over the foot of the bed exposing the scantily clad body. Sweat drenched through the comforter and pillowcase as her vibrant copper locks were dull and lifeless. The dark outline grew beneath her as the sweat continued to soak through the comforter and blankets. Stiles found he couldn't but help to feel sorry for her as he found himself retrieving the blanket and covering her back up.

"The things I do for Scott," he grumbled. Stiles texted Scott again hoping this time he would respond.

Scott finally looked down towards his phone eyeing the message across the screen.

Get your butt back here now! Brooklyn not doing so good!

"What is it?" Derek gripped the bars tighter.

"Brooklyn's getting worse. What's going to happen to her?"

"A mark can affect different people in different ways. Some don't feel anything while others…" he paused as the thought of the hunter fighting it alone made Derek's blood run cold.

"While others what!" Scott demanded.

"They get very very ill alright? But they always make it through."

"Well tell that to Brooklyn," Scott yelled in the werewolf's face. Derek's faced hardened and eyes became chillingly dangerous as his hand fisted Scott's shirt.

"She is going to survive this," his voice rumbled like thunder. "But she's vulnerable." The last word rolled off his tongue.

"Stiles is with her."

"That's really reassuring," Derek was sarcastic in his response to Scott's solution.

"At least someone's with her!"

"Until she comes out of it, the Alpha can kill her. Brooklyn can't fight!"

"Well I can't babysit all night!"

"Well clearly I can't thanks to you and Stiles."

Scott took two steps back, just beyond Derek's reach. His eyes reverted to the calm green once again but Scott knew better than to look at the surface.

"Not my fault what you did," the teen threw back. His phone vibrated once again as Stiles had sent a panicked text.

HELP! She's trying to attack me! Locked in bathroom!

Scott shot off leaving Derek alone once again.

Stiles pushed his body against the door as Brooklyn rammed her body against the door. He hoped Scott would now be on his way after sending his S.O.S out.

"You're going to pay for what you did!"

"You're crazy Brooklyn! No scratch that you're beyond crazed!"

"Once I get this door open you're dead Brian!"

"Oh my god she's out in left field! Scott get your ass out here!"