Chapter 55 - Babysitter?

"I'm fine," the hunter protested loudly.

"No you're not," Derek pinned her shoulder with a single hand. "You have gashes on your legs and not to mention the slash marks across here," he ghosted his fingers parallel to the injuries on her chest. "What were you thinking Brook?"

"Like I said," she sighed irritably, "I am a hunter first and foremost. But remember I'm a human and as such I have emotions and lose control on occasion."

"So I noticed," he snorted.

"Look I'm sorry okay," she hollered. "I went to confront Scott but my anger got the better of me okay? I wasn't looking to kill him or anything. I only wanted to knock some sense into him."

Her voice deflated as the error of her mistake was sinking in.

"I didn't mean to scare you or make you freak out," she pinched the bridge of her nose and shook her head. "I'm sorry."

"Brook, I'm not mad at you," Derek lowered her hand down. "I was worried about you. When you took off I found Stiles and we headed to Scott's…"

"But I should've had you with me," she admitted.

"No, it would've only made him angrier," Derek gently shot her words down. He turned and handed the pills over to the hunter, watching with a sharp eye as she downed the bitter tablets then hurriedly chased them with water.

"Considering the depth and number of wounds, it's gonna take a few days for you to fully heal. So for now you stay here."

"And what fun is that?" She pounded her fists on the comforter.

"None," Derek sat on the edge, "But it's going to keep you alive."

"So what you're gonna have someone babysit me? In case you haven't noticed I'm not exactly 12 anymore."

"Precisely why you need someone to keep an eye on you," Derek nodded.

"And who is the lucky but unfortunate soul?"

As if on cue, Stiles walked through the door.

"Someone call for a hunter sitter?"

"Oh come on," she protested. "Gilligan? I'm better off with the Alpha standing there!"

"Brook," Derek warned her.

"Fine," she sunk back in the bed knowing she was outnumbered. The bandages flexed and wavered with her movements. There was no point in arguing as she felt the burning sensation rip through the gashes.

"Anyways," Stiles dropped his bag, "I thought you could use some company for a while."

"And where are you going?" She arched an eyebrow towards Derek.

"Alpha hunting," he grabbed his leather jacket. "And to make sure Scott hasn't done anything stupid."

"Wishful thinking on the second part," she smirked.

"She doesn't move," Derek pointed at Stiles. His eyes briefly shot a cool sizzling blue. "If she moves or escapes, it's your head Stiles. No one comes in and she doesn't go out."

"Okay I get it tall dark and frightening!"

Derek's face morphed into a menacing stare before he left his hunter alone with the teen.

"Smooth," she crossed her arms and chided Stiles.

"What? I panicked," he was feeble in his defense.

"Did you find anything out about your chemistry teacher other than he looks like his under the age of 18?"

"No," Stiles shook his head.