Chapter 28 - Discovery

"Derek stop it!" Brooklyn jerked at the werewolf's arm. Her touch was like fire to Derek as he spun around releasing the frightened doctor. The cold cobalt faded away as the soft green returned. Recognition flooded his eyes as he looked over at the man then at the hunter.

"What are you doing here?" He asked.

"I asked Stiles to help me and he was looking for a cure for Scott and well long story short we're here. This is Doctor Conrad Fenris," she gestured at Fenris. "He's a walking encyclopedia of werewolf lore."

Fenris looked at Derek strangely, like as if he recognized the man from somewhere. He couldn't put his finger on it but the feeling stabbed at him like a knife. His gaze went to Brooklyn who was leaning against the counter.

"Are you okay?" Derek asked his hunter. He ran his hands up and down her arms.

"Yeah," she smiled nervously. "We're fine."

"I was living in Wisconsin five years ago when a woman was brought into my ER," Fenris sifted through the filing cabinets. Photos plastered the walls as various copies of drawings and sketches from across the globe littered the remaining spaces. Brooklyn was familiar with many of the images as she had seen them in several books and journals.

"Nice photo gallery Doc," she continued looking over the walls.

"Thanks," he wasn't sure if that was meant to be taken as a compliment. Derek sat close to Brooklyn while wearily eyeing the doctor then flashing a sharp look in Stiles' direction. The teen shirked away as the look of death chilled his body.

Oh my god….He's sizing me up like a piece of meat…..I am soooooo dead…..

"She had an arrow in her arm. I was told it was a hunting accident, the arrow was meant for a whitetail deer. I removed the arrow and she woke up. Then within three minutes the wound was gone."

Derek's eyes narrowed as the doctor recalled his encounter. His heart started racing as the man continued.

"I spent five years searching for her and found her here in Beacon Hills. But then she vanished. The only thing I could find was this old black and white photo of her and a young man. I assume it was her son….."

The file in his hands opened up as a black and white photo was placed on the coffee table. Instantly Derek's eyes flew open at the image that lay before him. Brooklyn peered hard at the photo as the image of the young man became chillingly clearer.

"Derek," she pointed at him, "That's you and that's….."

"Laura," he muttered.

"So you followed her to here? What were you hoping to learn?" Brooklyn saw the crestfallen look that darkened Derek's handsome features. Her hand reached out covering his.

"The woman's ability to heal was like the holy grail of medical research. I wanted to know what was so special about her."

"Well now you know why."

"Why are you still here then?" Derek lifted his head up.

"The attacks and deaths that have occurred."

"And then the poor girl they found," he added sadly. "I know it was them….those who hate others like her."

"You mean the hunters," Stiles' voice shook.

"I suppose that is what they are called," Fenris nodded. "I learned two things that day in Wisconsin: There are people in this world who have an ability to heal that science can't explain. Imagine what that means to somebody who's dedicated his life to healing. Then there are people who want to kill them."