Chapter 3 - Nemesis

Chapter 3 - Nemesis

                Brooklyn was seated at the local diner, pouring over newspaper archives on her laptop.  Her curiosity was piqued about the fire that had consumed Derek’s home and she wasn’t disappointed.  Several area papers had front page stories about the Hale home and of how Derek, his sister and uncle had survived the fire while his parents were killed in the raging inferno. 

                “No wonder he’s so withdrawn,” she muttered sadly to herself.  If she had witnessed her parents dying in such a painful agonizing way it would’ve messed with her hardwiring as well.  The hunter paused and finished off the cooling plate of French Toast and sausage, finding the local fare much to her liking.  She hadn’t enjoyed a meal like this in….Well Hell she couldn’t remember the last time outside of home breakfast was this awesome.  Given what last night had brought on, this was such a welcome shift. 

                “Need anything else hun?” The waitress slid up and swept away her plate.         

                “Another refill and I’m good,” she smiled as the waitress scooted off.  Brooklyn shifted her gaze back to the screen and picked up where she left off.

                Authorities have ruled out arson as the investigation continues. 

                “Why do I not believe that?” She rebuffed the report.  The waitress returned with another round of liquid caffeine as the hunter continued reading the article. 

                “So he has a sister and uncle?”  She bit her lip in contemplation.  Considering Derek wasn’t one to share his feelings, let alone anything else, Brooklyn carefully weighed her options. 

                The red SUV pulled up in the parking lot beside the sleek black Charger.  Argent got out along with another hunter, Brian. 

                “She has some nerve showing her face around here,” Brian glanced over at Argent who was staring straight through the bay window of the diner and at Brooklyn. 

                “You and I both know why she’s here Brian,” Argent met his companion’s gaze, “Let’s go say hi to our old friend now shall we?”

                Brooklyn pulled up the next article which was nothing more than regurgitated version of the local paper’s article. 

                “Probably more concerned about the results of the local lumberjack tree cutting contest,” she snickered and deleted the browser.  She clicked on the next article from the local paper and started reading.  Her eyes were half way down the screen when a looming shadow darkened her vision. 

                Argent pulled up a chair as did Brian; each had a twisted grin locked upon their faces as Brooklyn felt her stomach turn knots. 

                “Well well well…..Look who rolled into town?” Argent’s face dropped into a darker, sinister sneer. 

                “Thought I smelled something vile,” Brooklyn refused to give into Argent’s little game. 

                “You have some nerve coming into this town after what happened in Daytona Beach,” Brian chimed in. 

                “I see you brought your mouthpiece this time,” Brooklyn rolled her eyes at the older man.  “What’s wrong Argent, too scared to talk to a woman?”