Chapter 2 - Truce

Chapter 2 - Truce 

“You’re a hunter.”

                       Derek’s words came out like a statement rather than a question.  The woman nodded her head as she planted her hands against her hips. 

                       “Guilty,” she exhaled.  “You were the one who sped out and pissed off the Alpha.”

                       “Yes,” he bluntly answered. 

                       “Yet you saved my neck.  Why was that?  Not to sound ungrateful but werewolves normally don’t save hunters.”

                       “What do you know about the Alpha?”

                       “That it’s one mean son of a bitch and I’m gunning for it.”

                       “You’re a fool to hunt it alone,” Derek narrowed his eyes at the hunter.

                       “Wow…..If I wanted to hear a guy try to tell me how to hunt I’ll just go back home to Phoenix.”

                       She spun on her heels and headed for her car, angry over being scolded by what?  A werewolf?  Oh that wasn’t sitting well!  She slipped inside the driver’s side and prepared to bring the engine to life.  The further she got away from Lon Cheney the better.

                       “Wait,” Derek appeared at the door.  She leapt in her seat and forced a deep breath in and out of her lungs.  She was losing her touch she told herself.

                       “Are you going to tell me how to hunt vampires next?” She sarcastically asked.  Derek didn’t respond and instead walked around the front and eased into the passenger side. 

                       “No,” Derek narrowed his eyes towards her.  She suddenly felt remorseful over her actions and slumped back into the seat. 

                       “Look I’m sorry alright?  I didn’t mean to be rude but I didn’t exactly expect a werewolf to come racing out of the forest and save my hide.  I guess I owe you a thank you.”

                       She traced her finger over the steering wheel, unsure of what else to say.  Here she was in her car with a werewolf who had just saved her from imminent death!  This wasn’t something she was expecting. 

                       “You’re welcome,” traces of a smile dared to crack his stone cold features. 

                       “You know what?  I need a drink,” she turned the engine and the car roared to life.  The wheels momentarily spun in the slick leaves and sticks before pulling ahead and out towards the waiting road. 

                       “Okay so why save me?”

                       Derek watched as she took another drink.  It was the third whiskey she had ordered since they arrived at the bar outside of Beacon Hills.  He silently admitted she was pretty brazen, but stupid for going after the Alpha alone like that.  But then again she could be of some use to him.  If other hunters show up, and they will, this woman could be a connection to keeping tabs on the others. 

                       “Because you know about the Alpha,” Derek quietly answered. 

                       “Well most hunters know about an Alpha werewolf,” she shrugged.  “But this one’s different.  I’ve been tracking this one for some time now.”