Chapter 32- Monkshood Part 2

The infection had begun to slowly spread. Brooklyn noted how quickly it crept up his veins, hijacking the faint blue with an ugly blood red.

"Have you heard from Markus yet?"

"No, not yet but I know he'll find out what this is," she wasn't sure what else to say.

"If the infection gets to my heart I'll die."

"Which is why I'm going to break into the Argent's house and find out just what it was that bitch shot you with."

"No," Derek shook his head. "They'll kill you."

"It's a risk I'm gonna have to take Derek."

"It's a risk I won't let you take!"

"So you think I just sit around and watch you slowly die before my eyes? No way in Hell am I letting that happen Derek. We're in this together remember?"

She leaned in until their mouths were gently touching. Derek felt her bottom lip beginning to quiver and pushed a little harder into her mouth. His good hand came up behind her neck gently resting against the nape. She pulled back but kept her forehead against his with her eyes closed and breathing shallow.

"I'm not giving up," she quietly declared. Brooklyn reached out and lightly caressed his face. She didn't want to admit to herself but the hunter was falling deeper for the werewolf. She had been scared, uncertain when he had marked her that night but now she fully welcomed it. Brooklyn didn't intend on feeling this way about Derek but it was happening and there was no stopping it.

Derek was in no shape to drive so Brooklyn took the wheel as the high school came into view. She stole a brief glance at the werewolf as he sat in silence beside her. His eyes were droopy and skin was paler than last night. His lips were dull and listless as the thin layer of sweat slicken his forehead and face.

"You sure Scott may be able to help? I think we have a better chance of Jackson helping us."

"He's the only one who can get close enough to the Argents," he shook his head.

"Right," she snorted. "It would be easier for me to break in and find it myself."

"Brooklyn," he warned her. "Please don't fight me on this."

"Fine," she sighed and pulled into the visitor parking lot. Derek flung the door open and staggered out, having to hold onto the door for support.

"Where do you think you're going?" She secured her arm around his waist as they slowly headed towards the doors. Brooklyn looked down to see the streaks of sanguine clashing against the sickly flesh.

"Damn it," she swore as they sneaked in the side entrance.

For a town that has had several attacks, it was easy to sneak into the school. The bell for passing period rang and the halls quickly filled with a sea of teens. The mindless chattering was hell to Derek's ears as he heard everything with a higher intensity. Brooklyn held him with such ferocity that it was as if his very life was depending on it. Boys and girls of various heights, shapes, sizes, and races scurried by with some bumping rudely into the pair.

Brooklyn spotted Jackson at his locker and steered them both towards the cocky teen. Jackson shuffled his books around and caught movement from the corner of his eye. Brooklyn and Derek came to a stop, both looking hard at him.

"Where's Scott McCall?" Brooklyn demanded.

Jackson simply stared at her before returning his attention to his belongings. Brooklyn growled and with her free arm fisted Jackson's shirt at the throat.