Shadow-Dark Feeling

Katherine P.O.V

It had been two weeks since the phone call with my Dad. I hadn't spoken to him since although he didn't stop trying to contact me. He had even called Sam and Dean in hopes that they would force me to speak. They had no idea what was wrong but respected that I didn't want to talk to him. I was angry. Not so much at him but at myself. It was my fault that my Dad lost the love of his life and that I never had a Mother.

They also wouldn't stop asking if I was okay after the whole Jared thing. No matter how many times I said I was fine, neither would accept that answer. I mean sure, I was having nightmares but what's new? I still had bruising and cuts but other than that, nothing remained from the events. In fact, I just want to forget it. But then when did I ever get what I want? I still felt dirty and found myself scrubbing extra hard every time I had a shower. It never worked though. I couldn't seem to scrub away the dirt.

Eventually though, I had to stop feeling sorry for myself so I found us a case. Anything to keep my mind off it. A girl had been slaughtered in her apartment. Like literally torn apart. They're saying it was the work of some serial killer but as hunters, we know better.

We pulled up across the street to the apartment and got out. We were dressed as employees of the alarm system company as it was easier than acting like FBI agents. The case was a week old so the investigation would have already started.I wasn't particularly happy with it as I looked like an idjit but Sam insisted that it was best. Dean went to the trunk and retrieved a toolbox before leading us to the apartment.

"All right, Dean. This is the place."Sam mentioned.

"You know, I've gotta say Dad, me and Kat did just fine without these stupid costumes. I feel like a high school drama dork."Dean whined then a smile spread across his face."What was that play that you did? What was it – Our Town. Yeah, you were good, it was cute."

Sam shook his head, smiling."Look, you wanna pull this off or not?"

"Just sayin', these outfits cost hard-earned money, okay?"I huffed as I pulled at the legs to try and tug it down more.

"Whose?"Sam questioned.

I smirked ."Ours. You think credit card fraud is easy?"Sam chuckled and held the door open for me as we entered the building.

~~~~~~~
"Thanks for lettin' us look around."Sam thanked the landlady as she let us into the apartment.

"Well, the police said they were done with the place, so...."The landlady said and her and Sam walked further into the room. I closed the door behind me but noticed that the lock on the door was broken. Dean and I shared a look but moved into the room after Sam. Blood splattered across the carpet and pooled near the corner."You guys said you were with the alarm company?"

"That's right."Dean replied.

"Well, no offense, but your alarm's about as useful as boobs on a man."The landlady said and I had to fight a smile. The three of us exchanged a glance but then Dean went back to the lady.

"Well, that's why we're here. To see what went wrong and stop it from happening again."Dean reasoned as he went to investigate the room,

"Now, ma'am, you found the body?"I asked and moved over to the window, checking the locks.

"Yeah."

"Right after it happened?"Sam inquired, coming to stand by me.

"No. Few days later. Meredith's work called—she hadn't shown up. I knocked on the door. That's when I noticed the smell."She replied, looking down and grimacing at the memory.