In My Time of Dying-There's some things we gotta talk about

A/N: The Italics are Dean's P.O.V. There's too many little bits and overlapping parts to switch P.O.V's all the time like I normally do so I'll add little parts here and there.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Katherine P.O.V

The darkness started to fade as a beeping sounded in my ear. My body felt heavy and I couldn't quite get my eyes open, almost like they were fighting against me."She lost a lot of blood from the stab wound to her side but she was lucky. It missed all the major organs. She's suffered a concussion and a broken left arm but other than that, she's gonna be fine."An unfamiliar voice spoke up.

"Thanks Doc."I heard Sam sigh then footsteps left the room."Come on, Kat, wake up. I sorta need you right now."

"Yeah, Kat come one. At least one of us has to wake up here."I heard Dean say. I struggled to open my eyes, my entire body fighting against me. What Dean said had confused me. Was someone in a coma or something?

"Please Kat."Sam said sadly and I felt his hand squeeze mine gently. Finally, my eyes fluttered open, the bright light above blinding me for a few seconds. I noticed the white room, machines to my side making me confused.

"Dean? Sam?"I asked, my voice thick and raspy, scratching my throat.

"Hey, Kat! I'm here."Sam said, standing beside me. I blinked a few times, my eyes adjusting to the light before they fell on Sam. His eye was swollen shut and his face was bruised but he looked good considering. My eyes searched around the room for Dean but I didn't find anything.

"Where's Dean?"I asked and his face went sullen, sitting back down in the chair he lent against the bed, my hand in his."Sam, what happened?"

"We were in an accident. A demon hit us with a truck. We're in the hospital."Sam explained making me frown. I remember being in the car, holding Dean, then.......nothing.

"Where's Dean?"I repeated, worry starting to settle in. "John?"

"Dad's awake."Sam said, nodding his head and avoiding eye contact. He swallowed the movement moving along his neck."Dean....he-um-he's not so good."He muttered, his voice becoming thick with tears.

Tears built in my own eyes as I took in a deep breath."What do you mean?"

"He sustained serious injury: blood loss, contusions to his liver and kidney. But it's the head trauma they're worried about. They said there's early signs of cerebral edema or something like that. He's not awake, Kat."Sam told me making me more confused. But I heard him, didn't I?

"I wanna see him."I demanded, sitting up in my bed, ignoring the pain that coursed through my body. I pulled the IV needle out my arm gently, a slight hiss leaving my lips. Honestly, I never got why people rip them out in movies. They hurt like a bitch.

"Woah, Kat, you can't get out of bed."Sam exclaimed, jumping up from his chair and gently trying to push me back onto the bed.

"I don't care. I want to see Dean. Now help me or I do it alone."I told him, raising an eyebrow. He sighed before stepping back, holding out his hands. I flung the cover off me, finally taking notice of what I was wearing  and that I had a cast on my left arm. Grabbing onto Sam's hands, he gently started to lift, letting me support myself on him. I struggled to stand to start with, my leg and side protesting but was finally able to stand. A nurse walked into the room, her eyes widening as she saw me out of bed.

"Miss! You're not supposed to be out of bed!"She scolded but I rolled my eyes.

"No offence but I'm fine. I'd like to go and see my friends."I said politely, hooking my arm over Sam's.

"I highly advice against that, at least until I get you some crutches."She said, a fake smile on her face.

I scrunched up my face in distaste."Oh, no I don't need those."

"But Miss-"

"I said no thank you."I interrupted in frustration, really not wanting anything. I was fine after all, only a few bumps and bruises. I turned my head to Sam, seeing the slight amusement on his face."Now, let's go see Dean."

He nodded his head and started to walk forward, leading me out the room and down the hallway despite the nurses glares. He stopped outside a door, looking down at me with sad eyes. I gave a slight nod, holding my breath as he gently pushed the door open, walking inside and stepping to the side to allow me room.

My feet slowly shuffled forward but I stopped in my tracks at the sight before me. There, lying in a bed with wires strapped to him and a tube down his throat, was Dean. It seemed like the air in the room became thicker as my chest struggled to suck in a breath. It felt like I was being stabbed all over again as I slowly forced my feet to carry on moving towards him. He looked terrible, the wires attached to the machines seemed to be the only thing keeping him alive and his skin scattered with bruises.

I took a seat on the hard chair beside his bed and took his hand in mine, feeling the tears starting to build in my eyes. "Oh Dean."I whispered, bringing his hand to my mouth as the tears started to stream down my face.

"Kat..."I heard something whisper through the room making my head snap up. It was only me and Sam but I could have sworn that was Dean's voice.

"Dad's awake."Sam announced and I looked his way to see he was staring at me with concern. I shook my head to clear my thoughts, I was probably still suffering from my concussion was all.

"I-yeah, okay."I nodded, wiping my face. Sam walked around the side of the bed to me and extended his hand. I looked to it and back to Dean, leaning forward to brush the hair out of his eyes before pressing a kiss to his forehead."It's gonna be okay, Dean."I whispered into his skin and stood up, leaving the room with Sam.

I watched as they left the room, a heavy feeling in my chest. They were hurting and I couldn't do a damn thing but watch. I had felt her lips on my skin, the warmth reminding me that I was still alive. I had to fight. There was no way I was leaving them alone, not when they needed me. I just had to figure out how. With once last look at my broken body lying in the hospital bed, I followed them down the halls.

John was lying in the bed, sat up and his arm in a sling. He looked pissed off with being stuck in the bed, just how I expected him to be. His expression softened when he saw us enter the room though."Kat."He smiled, relief in his voice.

"Hey, Uncle John."I greeted softly, my voice still thick with tears. Sam walked into the room, standing beside the bed, hands in his pockets. John scooted over on the bed slightly and I smiled in thanks before climbing in next to him. He grabbed his wallet off the side, awkwardly removing something from it.

"Here. Give them my insurance."John told Sam, handing him a card.

Sam took the card, a smile appearing on his face as he read it. It was the first smile I had seen cross his face since waking up."Elroy McGillicutty?"

"And his three loving kids."John smiled back. He took a deep breath, him and Sam sharing a look that made me uncomfortable for some odd reason. A second later, both their gazes fell on me."We need to talk."

"Uh oh. Nothing ever good comes from those words. Are we breaking up?"I joked to try and ease the building tension in the room. Sam cracked a smile but John remained stony faced.

"I was awake for most of it."John began, making me slink back, suddenly knowing exactly where this was heading."I-we all heard what that demon said Kat. Why didn't you tell us?"

"I-you-I......You wouldn't understand."I stumbled over my words, looking down to avoid his harsh glare. John seemed to be angry at the situation while Sam looked mostly calm if not slightly concerned.

"Try us."Sam said gently, making me raise my head.

"I've always thought I was crazy. I mean, no one else saw him. Just me."I tried to explain, hoping they saw my point. When neither said anything, I continued."It was always just a man who I thought I had created in my mind. After all the shit I've seen, I thought it was my brains way of dealing with the guilt; have someone else blame and yell at me so I wouldn't have to."

"But it was the same demon that killed Mary!"John said, his voice raised making me flinch."How did you think that wasn't real! Why didn't you say anything?"

"I didn't know. Not until the case in Salvation."I shook my head."I didn't know uncle John."

John looked away, shaking his head slightly in anger. He seemed to still be angry with me but had had enough of the conversation for now."So, what else did the doctor say about Dean?"He changed the subject. Sam caught my eye, his gaze sympathetic and understanding. I felt a tiny bit better knowing that Sam wasn't angry with me but I couldn't help the tears that pooled in my eyes or the feeling of disappointment in my chest.

I watched at the end of the bed, fists clenched tightly. I had questions of my own, anger of my own but I hated how my dad was yelling at her like it was her fault. I remember the utter fear she had the first time she told me about this man. I didn't know it was the demon, I should have known it was something. Why didn't I protect her!? She kept her face expressionless as dad changed the topic, looking to Sam but I saw the slight shake in her hands and the glistening in her eyes. I know his words hurt. She was just like me when it came to seeking his approval.

"
Nothing."Sam shook his head."Look. The doctors won't do anything, then we'll have to, that's all. I don't know, I'll find some hoodoo priest and lay some mojo on him."

"We'll look for someone."John confirmed.

"Yeah."Sam sighed and I nodded my head in agreement. I had subtly shifted away from John to sit crossed legged near the edge of the bed, facing Sam.

"But guys, I don't know if we're gonna find anyone."John said and I shared a panicked look with Sam.

"Why not? Dean and I found that faith healer for Kat before."Sam defended, sitting in a chair next to the bed.

"Alright, that was, that was one in a million."John huffed and I began to get angry.

"So what? Do we just sit here with our thumbs up our ass?"I snapped.

"No, I said we'd look. Alright? I'll check under every stone."John insisted, his eyes slightly cold as they looked at me. He looked back to Sam, licking his lower lip just like Dean tended to do in stressful situations."Where's the Colt?"

"Your son is dying, and you're worried about the Colt?"Sam asked, annoyance in his tone. My own jaw clenched in frustration that John was more focused on this fucking demon and gun.

"We're hunting this demon, and maybe it's hunting us too. That gun may be our only card."John explained.

Sam still looked angry but also like he saw where his father was coming from."It's in the trunk. They dragged the car to a yard off of I-83."

"Alright. You've gotta clean out that trunk before some junk man sees what's inside."John instructed.

"I already called Bobby. He's like an hour out, he's gonna tow the Impala back to his place. "Sam said making me perk up. He saw my gaze and sighed making me slightly concerned."He knows you're in in and hoped you were okay but....he's not coming. Said you both needed some space or something."

I nodded and looked down. Part of me was hoping that it was a dream and it never really happened and another part of me was hoping he would forgive me. It seemed like he hadn't though. I was just glad he didn't tell Sam about it.

After a confused glance, John nodded to Sam."Alright. You, you go meet up with Bobby. you get that Colt, and you bring it back to me. And you watch out for hospital security."

"I think I've got it covered. "Sam smirked. He got up to leave, clasping a hand on my shoulder as he walked by.

"Hey."John called out, stopping him and handing him a piece of paper."Here. I made a list of things I need, have Bobby pick them up for me."

"Acacia? Oil of Abramelin?"Sam read of the list in confusion. The items seemed oddly familiar to me but I couldn't place what they were used for."What's this stuff for?"

"Protection."John said quickly. That didn't sound right.

"Hey, Dad? You know, the demon, he said he had plans for me, and children like Kat and I. Do you have any idea what he meant by that?"Sam asked making me look to John for an answer to. After everything that's happened, I hadn't really had time to think about that. The fact that he had said 'well you're a tad bit different Kitty Kat.', confused me more than anything. If he had said I was like Sam then at least I had someone who understood exactly what I was feeling and I wasn't alone. But I'm different. There's something seriously wrong with me.

"No, I don't."John said after some thought. Sam left the room, leaving John and I alone.

I lent against the wall behind Kat, watching as she looked down to avoid any contact with my father. When she wasn't looking, dad's face changed and he looked to her concerned. His eyes held a secret."Well, you sure know something."I whispered under my breath. I knew my dad better than anyone and he was hiding something.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After some awkward silence, I decided I wanted to be with Dean again, so I left John's room and headed down the hallway. Dean was in the same lifeless condition he was in before, making my breath catch in my throat all over again. His hand was cold and didn't grip back when I took a hold of it. For a few moments, I sat there staring at him, expecting him to just sit up and be okay, like it was all a big joke. But the longer I sat there, the more reality sunk in.

"Hey Dean. I don't even know if you can hear me..."I started, my voice breaking slightly so I coughed to clear it. I took a deep breath before continuing."I'm so sorry. This is my fault. I should have done something, anything."I whispered, tears leaking from my eyes and down my cheeks in thick streams."There's so many things I wanted to tell you. I've always been too scared. I mean, look at you and look at me."I said with a slight laugh. It didn't sound happy though, it sounded broken because I knew what I was saying was the truth."Someone like you would never even look at someone like me. I know that and it's okay. I don't want you to pretend, Dean. Because I love you just the way you are."I said and bit my lip. There, I said it. I finally said it to him. Granted, he was unconscious and couldn't hear me but I had finally said it. I let out another laugh, this one accompanied by a sob."I love you, Dean. I'm sorry it took me so damn long to say. How bout you wake up so I can tell you for real, yeah?"

I watched as Kat broke down, her beautiful face stained with tears. Her comforting hand stroked over my bodies skin but I could still feel the warmth on my own."Hey Dean."Her voice said, breaking. My head snapped up and I started to walk towards the bed as she talked. Anger and pain filled me as she tried to apologize for something that she couldn't help.

"There was nothing you could have done. This isn't your fault, Kat."I said sternly, walking across the room to crouch beside her. Just like I had thought, she hadn't heard me and continued to stare at my body, her body shaking from crying. I hated seeing her like this and I hated that she blamed herself even more. I continued to listen to her, frustrated that I couldn't make her hear me or help in any way. Her words began to confuse me though 'Look at you and look at me'? Why would that mean anything? All I saw when I looked at her was a beautiful girl filled with a light that was rare to find in this world. I could never be good enough for something so perfect.

"..Because I love you just the way you are."She cried, a tiny surprised laugh escaping her lips. I stared up at her shocked. Those three words that I had longed to say to her or hear come from her mouth just did. Of course she had said them before but they had never sounded like that. It had always been in a friend or family way. Now they held meaning. They seemed so real. "I love you, Dean. I'm sorry it took me so damn long to say. How bout you wake up so I can tell you for real, yeah?"

"Kat.."I breathed out, a smile breaking across my face. She felt the same way. My hand slowly reached up and ghosted across her cheek, only wanting to feel her skin for comfort. But her eyes snapped towards my direction making me freeze. Her eyes were wide as they searched the room and slowly, she brought her hand up to touch her cheek. Had she felt me? I moved my hand up again but stopped when an eerie sound echoed through the halls."What is that?" I looked back at Kat, her face still filled with pain and confusion as she thought and gripped my bodies hand tightly but slowly stood moving towards the door. I didn't want to leave her, even if she didn't know I was there but something was telling me to move. Just as I stepped out, something flew past me making me jump back in surprise."I take it you didn't see that."I called over my shoulder to Kat before taking off sprinting after the thing.

I searched the hallways for it, the people not giving me a second glance just like before. Finally, I felt something move behind me and spun just in time to see a pale, ghost like figure enter a room. I paused before following, stopping at the threshold when I saw a woman lying on the floor, gasping for air. Her body shook violently as she struggled to breathe."Help! Help!"She chocked out, I spun round in panic.

"Hey! I need some help in here!"I screamed to the doctor down the hallway but he didn't even glance in my direction.

"I can't... breathe!"She cried and I rushed into the room, keeling beside her. She panted loudly, trying desperately to drag air into her lungs but suddenly fell silent. I watched helplessly as the life faded form her eyes. I know there was nothing I could have done but her death still felt like it was on my hands. I couldn't help, I couldn't do anything.