Chapter Seventy-Five

Edie

"Come on Edie, one more push! You can do it!" 

I swear I've heard this sentence at least ten times in the last twenty minutes and still they ask for more. I'm exhausted, I've never experienced pain like this before. How do women do this again and again? 

"I can't do it anymore" I cry, throwing my head back against the pillows. "It hurts" 

"I know baby, it will all be over soon" Ross tries to reassure me but nothing can help me right now. Nobody's kind words or soft touches. Nothing can stop how I feel right now. If it isn't the pain consuming my whole body it's the worry and panic of the moment I'm going to become a Mother. In a way, the more time waiting for this baby to arrive into world is more time I have as being just Edie. Not Edie the Mom, or Edie with the baby or Edie who ruined the Lynch's career because she couldn't keep her legs shut...

By this point now I couldn't care how harsh I am being about myself. All I know is I am scared as hell to do this, and I know I'm not alone in this. In ways I'm extremely lucky with the support I have around me but becoming a Mom at the age I am was not apart of my life plan. I wanted to be married with a career under my belt. But so far all I've done is been abandoned by my parents, left a school that would have set my future for certain and moved back and forth from two different cities. And now I'm lying here waiting to meet my baby. 

I never imagined this for myself. 

"One more push Edie!" The doctor says holding one finger up to me. "I promise you this is the last one, but you have to give me all you have!" 

"One more" Both Ross and Stormie say to me and I nod. I can't change the past now, I can only live in the present and right now I have to get this baby out of me. With all of my strength I brace myself for the next few moments. 

Because everything is about to change. 

The pain overwhelms me but I don't let it get in the way of my goal. I want this to be over so I have to keep going. Everything becomes a blur and what feels like hours is only a few seconds but then suddenly the pain stops and relief fills my body. 

My eyes feel heavy and I know I could sleep for a week after this but I open them quickly and look down to see my doctor holding up this tiny baby in front of me. 

"Ross what is it?" I ask quickly, tapping his arm and for a second he is stood frozen next to me. He looks at me and then back to the baby, all this time we never knew what we were having so this is one big surprise for us. 

Ross steps forward, ever so slowly as if he's going to break the fragile human being in front of him, without even touching it. He stares at our baby for a few moments and then turns to be with a smile on his face. Stormier grabs my hand and we both stare at him waiting for the news. 

"It's a boy" He grins and Stormie begins to cry. 

A boy. 

My boy. 

I begin to cry with happiness as I watch this tiny baby looking over at me. I have a son, me and Ross have a little boy. Once he has been cleaned and his cord has been cut, they don't hesitate to place him straight on my chest and cover us both up with a blanket. 

"I love you so much" Ross sniffs, kissing my cheek softly and I turn to him and kiss his lips. "I have something for you" 

"Right now?" I gesture to the nurses rushing around us, making sure everything is being done for the baby, and my doctor is still sitting in front of me, because my birth still isn't over yet.