Chapter Forty Eight

Edie's POV

"So what happened?" Elsie asked.

I was sat in the living room in Elsie's apartment. It took us twenty minutes to get from the hospital and I'd never been to this side of the city before. Her apartment was not what I was expecting at all. It was a small, cramped space that was full of junk. Everywhere.

I imagined Elsie to live in a stylish apartment over looking central park, with huge glass windows that brightened up the space and it was furnished with a hard oak table and chairs, along with a soft white carpet.

"I got into a car accident" I tried to smile hoping it would hide the fact that my whole world has just come crashing down around me. "I've injured it badly, I can't dance anymore"

"So no more Julliard?"

"I don't know, probably not"

"Sorry to hear that Edie" She sighed. Her reaction to it wasn't what I wanted and it made me realise that she wasn't my Mom, she was my biological mother but not my Mom. I haven't even told my Mom about the accident. I have no idea if Ross has been in contact with her, but if he had I hope she would be here now. I wanted Elsie to hug me and tell me everything would be okay but she hasn't and she isn't going to. Because she didn't raise me, she wasn't there till 10pm at my dance rehearsals, she wasn't there when I would make up routines to random songs on the radio, she wasn't there when I cried, she wasn't there when I cut my knee or when I was ill. She wasn't there, she isn't my Mom. And I hate myself for believing that she might take over that role.

"Is there any chance you could drop me at Julliard?"

"I'm not sure I can do that" Elsie stumbled, she walked towards her window.

"Is something wrong?" 

"I'm fine" She snaps. In just a few moments Elsie had paced back and forth from the window, pulling back the curtain to look outside. 

"I can go if you want, I can call..."

"Shit" She cuts me off. "Shit, he's home. You need to hide" She stumbles over her words while pushing my bag into my arms. 

"Hide? But, why, what's going on?" 

"He can't see you! You have to hide!" Everything was happening so quickly that Elsie pushed me into the small cramped bedroom and shut the door, telling me that if I made a sound I would regret it. Once the door closed I heard another one open. 

"Babe!" I hear Elsie cheer, but fear laced in her voice. Obviously her boyfriend or husband, she neve mentioned one to me when we've talked before but then again why should I expect her to tell me anything. 

"I didnt know you would be home this early" 

"I can come home whenever I want" A deep voice boomed through the walls. 

"I know, I just wasn't expecting you that's all" Her voice was much quieter then before and I was scared to think what would happen if I'm discovered. 

If I make a sound I would regret it

"Why? You got someone back there again?!" I jumped at the sound of his raised voice directed at the bedroom door. This is not the best time to be stuck in a wheelchair. 

"No! I just wasn't...Frank no! Don't go back there" Loud footsteps made their way towards and I couldn't even move because my chair was wedged between the bed and the wall. My heart was beating out of my chest when the door handle rattled. 

"Open the fucking door!!" He roared and I could here Elsie whimper from behind the wood. The door flew open and a tall, fat man stood in the doorway, holding Elsie's sleeve firmly in his large hand. "Who the fuck is this!" He hissed pushing Elsie into the room with me.