Chapter Fifty-Seven

"Edie what the hell is going on?" 

I stay silent and look at my hands. If I wasn't attached to a drip right now I would bolt out the room. 

"Edie?" 

I finally look up and Ross has travelled from the doorway to the end of my bed. I pat the bed slowly and he sits on the end of the bed. We stay silent for a few more minutes and the tension grows in the room. I start to feel nauseous and the room starts spinning. 

"Ross" My voice is barely a whisper and his eyes widen. He comes closer and holds my face between his hands, forcing me to look at him. 

"Breathe" He instructs. "Like me, come on" He breathes in and out slowly and I copy him. At first my breathing is rapid and all over the place, but in no time our breathing is in sync and I don't feel so faint anymore. 

"Are you okay?" He asks and I nod. He still has his hands placed on my cheeks and for a moment I don't want him to let go. This is the first time we've been this close in days, it's all I've been wishing for. I just want all of this to go away and go back to the airport and avoid that diner all together. If we didn't go there, and I didn't see Danny, me and Ross would be happy right now. 

"How long were you stood there for?" I ask.

"Quite a while"

"Do I really need to tell you what's going on?" I whisper. There's no hiding it now. If he doesn't know what's going on then he's clueless. 

"This can't be happening" His hand falls back to his lap and he leans away from me. "Are you sure they haven't made a mistake?" 

"No" I try not to laugh, this is a serious matter. This can change mine and Ross's future, our lives forever. This could break us even more then we already are. We're broken and we need to fix this, one way or another. 

"So...you're pregnant" He looks stunned, staring at the wall and I know I have to give him time to process this all but I need to know what to do. 

"Yes...ten weeks" I say slowly and his eyes snap to me and I feel my stomach sink. 

"Ten weeks? That's over two months!" Ross's stunned mood has changed dramatically suddenly he's off the bed and staring down at me. 

"I know" 

"But...two months Edie!" He runs his hands through his hair. "How long have you known?" 

"Only since I got here" I tell him. 

"How could you not know that you were pregnant! I mean, don't girls, doesn't your...you know, your period stop?" He panics. I felt anger bubble inside me, does he think I've been keeping this to myself for weeks?

"I was a bit distracted to realise I'd missed a period Ross!" He stays silent and I can't help my outburst. "I was a bit busy making sure I was able to walk again, getting kicked out of Julliard, moving back to California! So no, I had no fucking clue I was pregnant and don't you dare think I tried keeping this a secret" 

"Sorry..." He mumbles. 

"I'm as shocked as you are trust me" I sigh. "What shall we do?" 

"What do you mean?" Ross says quickly. 

"About this?" I point to my stomach and Ross's eyes widen. 

"I don't know" He says. "This is all a bit too much" 

"Well I need a plan soon Ross" 

"What do you want to do?" He asks. I look down at my hands, I don't want to admit to him I'm thinking of an abortion. I just want what's best for me and Ross, because right now our relationship is the one thing that means most to be. I need to know we will be okay, before I think about having a child with him.