Chapter Seventy-Six

Edie

I hold Dylan closely to my chest as I look up at the tall bus in front of me. Words can't describe how happy I am to have him in my arms now, but I'm not so thrilled about traveling home on the tour bus still, especially with a newborn.

"Edie?"

I snap my head up and see Ross standing in the doorway onto the bus. Everyone else must of got on and now I'm the last one. My brain tells me to move but my feet stay frozen, can I do this?

"What's wrong?" He's now standing in front of me, placing his hands on my arms, making me look up at him.

"I'm scared" I whisper. I'm not going to try and hide anything from him. He needs to know what's going on, how I'm feeling. Because if I try and close myself away from everyone it's not going to work.

"Me too" He admits and I relax in an instance. Ross knows what I'm going through, because not only am I a first time Mom but he's in a first time Dad too. We've both been thrown into the deep end and we're learning something new every minute since our son arrived.

"This is scary for normal couples when they bring their baby home...but we're bringing our baby to a bus before we even get home. That's even scarier for me"

"I was thinking that too but I forgot about how many people we have with us on our journey home" He wraps his arm around my shoulder and strokes Dylan's head softly. "We're altogether and if struggle we have my parents, my siblings. Someone will always want to help"

"Or they'll go insane with the crying" I giggle, but so far my boy is just perfect. He cries when he wants feeding or a diaper change or just a cuddle from someone. And then all he does is sleep, just like his Dad.

"No they won't" He says. "How can they get mad at that little face"

We step onto the bus and I take a deep breath. My whole world has changed and now I have to learn how to be a Mom and travel with my family. Not many people can say that.

Instantly Riker is in front of me holding out his hands, smiling down at his nephew. I kiss the top of my sons head and pass him over to Riker. He sits straight down and lays Dylan down on his chest. They all love him and I couldn't be happier.

...

"Night guys" Ryland waves at us before heading down to the bottom floor to head to his bunk. Throughout the last hour everyone has made their way to bed, now leaving me and Ross alone.

"Maybe we should get some sleep" Ross yawns, leaning his head on my shoulder.

"We should but I don't want to move" I whisper. Dylan has just been fed and now he is sound asleep in my arms and I don't want to make any sudden movements in case he wakes up.

"He'll be fine" Ross reassures me. "If he's anything like me he'll be able to sleep through a hurricane"

"That's an understatement" I scoff and Ross rolls his eyes at me and then holds his arms out towards me. I gently lift our baby off my chest, causing him to almost squeak and let out a small yawn as I pass him over to Ross. He takes Dylan in his arms and gestures me towards our room on the bus.

We make our way there, as silently as we can without waking anyone but I know it won't be long until Dylan needs feeding again so everyone will be woken from his cries.

I sit on our bed as Ross lays Dylan into his small moses basket that is placed at the end of our bed. I watch him look down at the small baby in front of him. His eyes wondering, watching the way his small fist clench as he sleeps, the way his small chest moves slowly up and down and how his eye lids flutter. He's looking at him the same way I have since he came into this word. How could we make something so perfect? So innocent and small and wondering how quickly the years will pass.