Chapter 83: Give It A Minute

We were setting up what Charlie had named Hunter HQ. We had several computer and new cell phones we had procured from various electronic stores, using various credit cards. According to Charlie, the government notices when you buy twenty phones at once. I was trying to assemble one of the computers, when Mikey came and opened the door.

"Careful in here," said Charlie. "Cords everywhere." The room was a mess.

"That's okay I'm not coming in," said Mikey. "I was just telling you I'm going to the store."

"Hey I need brownie mix," I said. "I'll come with you."

"No!" Mikey said quickly.

"But I need brownie mix," I said.

"I'll get the mix," Mikey said quickly.

"Why can't I come?" He was acting really weird and I didn't like it. "Are you actually going to the store?"

"No I just- Yes I am and I'm fine, I just want to go to the store. Alone. It makes me feel normal."

"How about I give you a list and you get the brownie stuff?"

"Yeah I'll buy the brownie stuff," he paused before adding "Can you put chocolate chips in them?"

"You know I almost forgot Gabriel was your dad."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Buy the chocolate chips and I'll put them in the brownies," I promised. "Here we'll make a list."

"I'll remember. I gotta get going now. His sh- I gotta be at the store in ten minutes."

"What happens in ten minutes?" I called after him. He didn't answer, just kept running.

"What was that about?" asked Cyrus.

"Take a guess," Charlie said smirking.

"You know?" I asked.

"Just tell us," Cyrus pleaded.

"No you have to guess," Charlie cackled. "It's more fun this way."

"Is it about a girl?" I asked.

"Close," Charlie grinned. "Very very close."

"What do you mean close?" asked Cyrus.

"Give it a minute."

***

See a while back Mikey really needed some candy. Really bad. So he grabbed some cash, and he went to a local convenience store.

It was a small store. Easy to navigate. When he got a text from Marcey, he figured he could text and walk at the same time. He'd done it all the time before he came to the bunker.

Back when he had people to text.

He didn't notice the boy in the blue apron mopping the floor.

He didn't notice the caution wet floor sign.

He didn't notice the glistening tiles as he stepped onto them. Not until it was too late. His foot slid out from under him and he could feel himself falling.

But he didn't land on the ground.

"Are you okay?" asked a voice. The employee who had been mopping, had caught him was about his age. The boy had big brown eyes, and freckles were scattered across his nose. He was tall too.

Mikey hated embarrassing himself in front of hot people.

"Are you okay?" The stranger repeated. Oh great. Now he looked clumsy and stupid.