Chapter 10 - Rejections and Relief

*Marcel's POV*

The end of the day comes around, finally. Time to get home and do my homework.

Today went well, actually. Jake and his beef-heads stayed away from me for the day, maybe they found better things to do than torture a poor nerd. Either that, or Sabrina is a miracle worker and deserves a million praises from me.

Sabrina had surprisingly offered to have lunch in the library, letting me read my book while she sat quietly. It was nice, but I felt slightly awkward when out of the corner of my eye, I'd see her occasionally stare at me as she ate her cookies.

So unhealthy.

I ate my own sandwich while Gatsby and Daisy run over Myrtle in his car, a part of this book that always gets to me. They were so reckless, they should have been more careful, maybe Myrtle would still be alive. She was so sickeningly promiscuous anyways...

Anyways, it's now the end of school and I am walking out and down the steps. I keep my head down, as always. Sabrina told me she's taking me home, so I make my way over to her car, remembering the parking spot from this morning.

When I get there, just as I'm about to greet her with a smile, I see Jake and Zayn hanging around her. Zayn is just standing there while Jake practically has my Sabrina pinned to her own car.

My Sabrina.

As I get closer and into earshot, I can faintly hear what he's saying over the obnoxious teenagers running around carelessly in the parking lot.

“Come on, one date with me. My treat.” What an idiot. Everyone knows that when a guy asks a girl on a date, it's common courtesy and just plain common sense that the guy pays!

But I can't help my blood boiling as I hear the words. She can't possibly want to go on a date with him? If she does, I'll automatically come to the conclusion that our friendship was never real.

She saw what he did to me, she wouldn't seriously go on a date with him if we were truly friends. Nothing would crush me more than her going out with my only enemy.

Oh dear Lord, please don't let Sabrina go on a date with this guy!

“Oh Jake, you're so sweet.” She coos, running her finger up and down his football jersey-clad chest and my heart drops. This isn't happening.

Marcel, please don't cry.

“You're offering to pay on our date?! What a gentleman!” Her sarcasm is so painfully obvious now, I feel so much better. My body literally slumps a bit as relief floods me.

“In that case you can mark our date on the 29th of never in a million years.” She smirks, pushing his bulky body off of her as she climbs into her car. I ignore his burning look, as well as Zayn's, as I too climb in her car. I want to hug her tightly, thank her repeatedly, but I hold myself back.

“Ugh, what a d... Jerk.” She corrects herself and I bite back a proud smile.

“I heard what happened.” I say as she starts the car, reversing carefully out of her spot.

“He really is something.” She shakes her head, starting off for the main road.

“Tell me about it...” I scoff. I notice both of her hands are on the steering wheel. I am very impressed!

“We're going to your house, is that alright?” She asks, keeping focus on the road ahead. She must know already that I'd have a heart attack if she even glances at me while driving. Because I would. I don't even do it when I drive, my eyes are on the road at all times, unless I need to check my gas gauge or something. But even then, I do that at a stop light. You could say I'm a safe driver.