Chapter 37 - An Argument

*Sabrina's POV*

“Yes, Anne, I assure you. He's just fine.”

Okay... He worried me!”

“No need to worry, Anne. He's perfectly fine. I'm sorry he didn't call or text, it's my fault.”

No it's not, but I can't tell Anne who's fault this really is. She called me, frantic and worried because Marcel didn't call or text her when he got here like he usually does, and he's been here for hours. I know that he was too busy being taken care of by me and Angie, but she doesn't.

That's okay. Naturally, I just worry about him. I mean, I never know if he's being bullied or not!”

“He's not, I assure you.” I absolutely hate lying to her; she's only a Mama bear trying to protect her baby cub. And the baby cub is too stubborn to allow his friend to help him and tell the Mama bear!

Alright.” She sniffles and I feel awful that she's crying. “What is he doing now? Can I talk to him?”

“Um, he actually just fell asleep... out of nowhere. I guess he was just tired from school.” What a pathetic lie. He fell asleep because he's exhausted from the pain!

Okay, then. Thank you, Sabrina. He's very lucky to have a friend like you. We're more than thrilled he's finally happy and smiling."

“And I'm lucky to have him. I promise, he's okay.” I reassure her, telling her I'll see her later when I drop off Marcel today. I can't handle the small guilt that fills my insides that I'm lying to such a saint that's only worrying for her son, and hanging up is probably not doing much for the guilt I feel.

We disconnect the call and as soon as I set my phone aside with a sigh, Marcel stirs beside me, grumbling something in his sleep.

“What's wrong?” He mumbles, eyes still shut and voice laced with sleep. His arms reach out and blindly tug me into him, and I let my body fall beside his.

“Your mom just called. She was worried because you didn't call her when you got here.”

His eyes open.

“Did you tell her what happened?” His voice is now full of worry, mixing with the gruffness.

“No. I promised you I wouldn't. It felt so wrong but I promised.” I sigh again, hating this inner battle.

“I'm sorry, but you know-”

“I know. She worries enough so I can't tell her.” It's his turn to sigh, his whole upper body rising and falling.

“Maybe I should go home now. She's probably waiting by the door for me to return.” He attempts to joke.

“Okay.” I nod, speaking softly. He tries to pull himself to sit, wincing as he does so. I use all my strength to help him up. He can stand to his feet, and I help him put on his shirt. He decides to hold his sweater vest while we leave.

“You're upset.” He sighs as soon as I pull up to his house, being the one to finally break the deafening silence that has awkwardly loomed upon us within my small car for the last ten minutes or so.

“I'm not upset.” I shake my head, my palms getting clammy on the steering wheel knowing that I am definitely lying to him. I can't even look at him; the man walking his dog across the street seeming more interesting than facing Marcel.

“Sabrina, don't lie to me. I know you're lying. Can you at least look at me?” I knew he'd see through me. Am I always this transparent?

With a sigh, I tear my eyes away from the old man with the German Sheperd, locking eyes with Marcel's awating big eyes.

“You're upset. Tell me what's wrong.” He pushes gently, resting a hand on my thigh.

“I just don't know what to do. Your mom should know about your bullying, but I don't want you to be mad if I tell her.”

“Sabrina, please let me handle this. I've been able to hide this from her for years with no problem.”

“But she said it herself, she never knows if you're being bullied or not! Don't you feel even slight guilt that you're lying to her? You said you'd never lie to your mom, yet here you are, willing to hide the fact that you're hurt!” I didn't mean to raise my voice so harshly, but Anne's so sweet and Marcel needs to see my point.

“Don't pull that card on me. You know why I'm hiding it!” His hand that had previously taken up the expanse of my upper thigh moved away only for him to point his stern finger at me.

“I will pull that card with you! She's going to take one look at your busted lip and immediately worry, and you know it! Is it even worth hiding all this from her and your family?”

“Probably not, but I don't exactly have a choice.” He finalizes, grabbing his backpack and throwing his passenger door open before I can reply. With a slight slam, he walks to his front door and I angrily drive off just as he opens it and closes himself in his house.

I feel bad for our fight, but he needs to learn to stop being so damn stubborn!

         *Marcel's POV*

I feel terrible for leaving Sabrina like that, but she knows full well that I just can't tell my mom. And she had the nerve to give me a guilt trip!

I close myself in my house just as she peels out of my street, probably to spite me.

I am hit with what smells like the scent of spaghetti coming from the kitchen. I know it's dinner, but I can't even bring myself to even think of an appetite. I haven't even started on my homework and that is my number one priority at the moment. Hopefully it gives me something to get my mind off of everything else, starting with my fight with Sabrina. Our first fight.

Just as I try to sneak away to my room, my mother calls for me, indirectly.

“Marcel, is that you?” She is approaching from the kitchen as she asks this and I mentally facepalm for not being quieter.

“Hello hon- Your lip!” She shrieks, taking one glance at my face and gripping my jaw in her hand, turning my face left and right to inspect me like a science experiment.

“I'm fine, Mom.” I grumble, trying not to wince with the slight pain in my jaw from my bully's earlier blow. I want to yank my head away, but she has an iron grip on my jaw.

“You're not fine! Your lip is cut! What happened?”

“I just walked into a pole again. I should really start watching where I'm walking.” I chuckle humorlessly.

Tell her. You know you feel guilty for lying. Just tell her you're being bullied, a voice I'd recognize anywhere pulls at the back of my mind, acting as my conscience.

“Oh honey.” She chuckles, apparently finding my lie funny. “I'm glad you're okay.” She leaves a kiss to my forehead and I close my eyes with the action. “Get cleaned up, dinner's nearly ready.”

“Mind if I skip dinner? I have a ton of homework to get to and I haven't started.”

“Sure. I'll bring you a plate just in case you're hungry.” I nod to my mother before retreating to my room for the night.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 

Longer chapter for you all, and their first argument.

Don't be a ghost reader. Any questions, comments, suggestions, thoughts? Leave 'em in the comments and don't forget to vote while you're at it! :)

Xoxo Sabrina