3.

Priya's P

Priya's P.O.V

"I just need to know, why would you marry me when you are so in love with her? Why didn't you say anything before the marriage?" I question.

"My parents," Rahul admits. "They wanted me to get married before Dadi passed away. Aisha and I," her name is Aisha I acknowledged, "-weren't ready for marriage. We're just 25, Priya. I told Dad and Ma how I felt, even introduced them to Aisha. But, they didn't like her and wanted me to get married regardless. Within a week, I was meeting you and a month later we were married." Rahul takes a pause. "It wasn't like I didn't want to tell you before the marriage, Priya, I did. It just that there wasn't a way I could contact you."

When I don't say anything, Rahul continues. "Aisha...Aisha and I met in second year of college. It was basically love at first sight." Rahul unconsciously smiles at the thought of her and a frown emerges on my face. He loves her so much. "She makes me happy, Priya. She understands me."

My heart breaks at how he talks about her. "I just wish you didn't keep in the dark here," I say to Rahul. "I would've understood. I'm not that horrible of a person to force you to be with me."

Rahul visually relaxed his body. He sighs as he takes my hands into his. "Thank you, Priya. And I'm sorry. I wish I could've told you earlier but I didn't know how you would react. I never knew you were going to be this understanding about it. I promise, I'll get the paperwork ready soon."

"The paperwork?" I question, confused.

"Yeah, for the divorce," Rahul says. But as he keep talking, I zone out.

A divorce. I blink back the tears that emerge in my eyes. I've never even imagined that I would be divorced not even a year into my marriage. I just turned 24 years old. How was I going to explain this to Babuji?

"Priya, are you listening?" Rahul asks.

"I'm sorry, I zoned out. This is just a lot, right now," I tell him.

"I'm sorry," Rahul apologizes, a guilty look comes onto his face. Great! I've managed to make him feel guilty now.

"I'm going to take a shower now," I say. But in reality, it was just an excuse to get away from Rahul. "And Rahul, do you think you can wait about the paperwork for the divorce? I just need some time to talk to my family about it."

"Of course, Priya." Rahul looks at me with concern and I hate it. It's like he's looking at me with pity.

Once I reach the bathroom, I turn on the shower and get in without even taking off my saree. I sigh as I push my hair back.

My thoughts wander back to my failed marriage. Maybe this was for the best. Rahul loves someone else, not me. It isn't right to come in between two people like that. If it meant that Rahul was going to be happy, then I don't mind stepping back. I love him enough to let him go.