38.

One Week Earlier

One Week Earlier

Priya's P.O.V.

I slowly open my eyes after taking a nap. I fell asleep next to Ma after eating some soup and taking some medicine that the doctor prescribed me. I felt really rested now. And I felt much better because of that.

"How are you feeling, beta?" Ma asks when she notices that I am awake. I sit up. Ma takes the pillow and leans it against the headboard. She pushes me down so that I was lying down a bit.

"I'm good, Ma," I tell her. "You didn't have to stay over last night though. I was fine after taking the medicine."

"Nonsense," she shoos me off. "You we're sick and you needed someone to take care of you. You're like Anandi to me. I would've done the same thing if she was sick."

I look around the room to see if Rahul was there. But he was no where to be seen. I didn't like the way I acted towards him yesterday. I didn't know why I acted that way. But, I just did. And I completely regret it.

I think I was just hurt with the way we left things in the office. And I also didn't want him to see me in such a vulnerable state. To see me so broken over the death of Babuji and Aishu. I didn't want him to see me as a weak person. So I pushed him away.

I shouldn't have done that. I know I hurt him a lot by doing that. I was hurting him the same way he hurt me a week ago. I was pushing him away the same way he pushed me away.

"How are you actually doing?" Ma asks again. I know she means how was I doing after their death?

"I don't know," I tell her. And that was the truth. I'm still sad knowing that they'll never be apart of my life. They won't be there for me for milestones I will have in my life. Like when I have my first child. But, I also know that I'm strong enough to overcome this. "I think it's getting better though."

Ma beams at me. She pats my cheek. "I'm glad. I can't even imagine what you're going through right now, but I hope you know that you can always talk to me about how you are feeling."

"Thanks Ma." I give her a hug and I felt at peace. I knew that even though things weren't quite alright now, they will be in the future. Ma felt like my own mother. And I will always be grateful that I've gotten such a nice mother-in-law in my life. I rarely ever think about my own mother and now with Ma in my life, I never thought about her.

She places a kiss on my forehead before getting up from the bed. "I'll go get you some breakfast."

I nod in agreement. I was hungry. I think I finally got an appetite after a whole week of just lying in bed.

I'm glad Rahul called Ma and Siddu over, even thought it was after I had a whole meltdown. I think being surrounded by more people, distracted me from my grief.

"And Rahul is outside. He's pretty worried about you, but he wanted to give you some space," Ma tells me before she leaves.

I blush lightly because Ma knew that I was wondering where Rahul was. I guess mothers know everything.

I need to talk to him though. I won't make the same mistake he did and not communicate. After getting some sleep, I could properly think. I want to be completely honest with him and work through whatever problems we have.

I love Rahul. And I refuse to give up on our marriage because we both said things we didn't mean when we were angry and hurt.

I know he said he wanted a divorce in our last argument. But he didn't mean it. I know him. I know he loves me. And the way he supported me and took care me during this hard time shows me that.

My phone buzzes with a message and I look at it with confusion. It was from an unknown number. Who could this be?

Divorce him. The message read. That's it.

Who is this?  I type back.

Someone who has your best interests in mind.
Divorce Rahul. Or else you'll face the consequences.

You're bluffing.

*File sent*
Isn't this enough to send your beloved father-in-law to jail?

I quickly scan the file that this person sent over. It was our company's financial documents. My stomach drops. This clearly states that our company had been evading taxes for a couple of years at the start of the company.

Papa would be in serious trouble for this. He would face so many fines. The company would be destroyed. Everything that he worked towards his entire life, poof. Gone in a second. And not to mention, he could even face jail time.

What if these are fake document? I need to double check if this is right. I can only call one person who would know if the company evaded taxes at the start. Ramu Kaka, Papa's right hand at the company.

I quickly dial him as get up from the bed. "Priya ma'am. How are you doing? I heard the news."

"I'm fine, Ramu Kaka. I need to ask you something though and I need you to be completely honest with me," I get straight to the point. "I was going through some files last week and found something weird. The file says that the company evaded taxes for 2 straight years in the 1990s. Is that true?"

"Ma'am..."

"Be honest," I tell him sternly as I pace around the room. "Evading taxes is illegal."

"It wasn't Mahesh Sir, Ma'am," Ramu Kaka confesses. "Mahesh Sir had a partner at the start and that partner would take care of financial details. He evaded the taxes and Mahesh Sir had no idea. When he did find out, we threw that partner out but didn't turn him in because the company would get a bad reputation. Mahesh Sir could still get in trouble for it but he wanted to take the risk to save the company."

I shut my eyes close. Fuck. It was true. "Thank you, Ramu Kaka." I end the call.

I sit back down on the bed as I cry. I love Rahul. I couldn't leave him. I just couldn't. A life without Rahul seemed like hell to me. But, if these documents get out, it means so much trouble for everyone that I love. My family. I need to protect them.

There was only one way out of this situation. I couldn't let Papa get arrested. It would destroy our family. And the company too.

I have to divorce Rahul. It's the only way.

What Hurts More? is almost coming to an end

What Hurts More? is almost coming to an end. Which means only 2 chapters are left for the book to be finished. The last chapter is going to be longer. I promise. So hang around and I hope that you will like the ending. Comment.  Vote.

- richithar