39.

Present Time

Present Time

Priya's P.O.V.

"What if I want a divorce?" I voice out to Rahul.

I could see the hurt on his face. And my heart broke that I was the one hurting him like this. I didn't want a divorce. But, here I am lying to the love of my life that I wanted a divorce because someone is blackmailing me.

I didn't want to do it. But, I kept getting messages from an unknown number. Their threats getting nastier as the days pass. I didn't want to do this today, but I had to. Or else, the news that Papa evaded taxes in the past is going to get out.

"You want a divorce?" Rahul questions.

"You said that you should've divorced me when you had the chance," I say, trying to stay strong. "I'm giving you the chance again."

"I don't want to divorce you!" Rahul cups my face into his hands. I shove his hands away even though I just want to pull him closer and kiss him.

"I don't know what to say then, Rahul. I've made up my mind. And I'm set on filing for a divorce. Very soon."

Tears emerge in Rahul's eyes. I almost take back my words. I almost tell him the whole truth. That I didn't want a divorce and that someone was blackmailing me.

But, I have to stay strong. I'm doing this for our family. For the betterment for our family.

"Why though? We can work through this. I know we can," Rahul reasons.

"Well, I've decided that I don't want to work through this," I use my hands to reference us. "I want a divorce."

"You lost Babu ji and Aishu, you don't know what you're talking about. Let's think about this more."

"Don't try and undermine me and my decisions."

Rahul shakes his head 'no'. "That's not what I am trying to do here. I want you to not give up on us. I want us to fix whatever is wrong."

"And I'm telling you, that I think it's too hard to fix," I try to explain.

"That's bullshit," Rahul fumes. "If you really wanted to fix our relationship, you would try."

"You're right," I agree with him. "I don't want to try."

"Why?" He questions. His eyes, full of hurt.

And as much as I don't want to say the next few words, I know I have to.

"You blame me for things that are out of my control. You treat me as a punching bag. You don't try to listen to my explanation. You don't do that to people that you love. You treat them better."

Rahul looks at me in defeat. "You're right. And I'll do better. I'll work on that. We'll work on that. We'll go to couples therapy. Please. Just don't give up on me. Don't give up on us."