37.

Rahul's P

Rahul's P.O.V.

"She hates me," I say to Siddu as he comes out of my room.

Siddu looks at me sympathetically. "No, she doesn't."

"She doesn't want me near her," I look up at him with tears in my eyes. "She told me to get out."

I hated the way she told me to get out. I didn't want to leave, but she was hysterical. She was adamant on me leaving. So I wanted to listen to her wishes.

It hurt me so much that she didn't even want me touching her. I hated that I couldn't even comfort her.

"She's grieving, Rahul," Siddu states. "She gets to decide how to grieve."

"I'm her husband, though. I should be the one in there." I point at door. "Instead, I had to call you and Ma to comfort her. I feel so incompetent."

Siddu sighs. "I understand how this can be hurting you. But, right now, we need to focus on Bhabhi and getting her the best care. If that means you have to stay away from her for a bit, then that's what we should do, Rahul."

"I hate this. I hate that I can't do anything to help her. And I hate that we were on the worst terms before everything blew up. I said some things that I never meant. I just wish that I fixed everything between us."

Siddu pats my back. "I know. But we can't change the past. Let's just focus on Bhabhi now. Hmm?"

I nod in agreement. "You're right. How is she feeling?"

"Much better after she ate some soup and took her fever medication. She's sleeping right now next to Ma."

"That's good." I relax a bit. I was extremely on edge seeing Priya so sick. But now that she was feeling a bit better, I feel better.

• • • • •

It's been a week. Ma and Siddu stayed back the whole week. From what they tell me, Priya is doing much better.

Everyone has been popping in to see her. Anandi. Papa. Bhoomi Bhabhi. Rohan Bhai.

They all say the same thing.

She is still grieving but she's doing much better. She's eating on her own. She's showering on her own. And she's getting more than a couple of hours of sleep every night.

Anandi has even managed to make her laugh the other day. I could hear Priya's giggle through the bedroom door.

I see her for maybe an hour each day. But nothing more than that. I didn't want to upset her more and make her spiral.

I was itching to talk to her and see if she was really doing well as everyone else has been telling me.

I've kept myself busy at home while everyone else spends time with her. I've learned to cook more dishes than just eggs and toast. I recently learned how to make eggplant curry, Priya's favorite. It's not the best, but I'm still practicing.