16.

Priya's P

Priya's P.O.V.

I knock on the door to Aishu's in-law's house. Rahul, Babu ji, and  I were supposed to have lunch with them before we all would leave for Mumbai.

Arnav's mom opens the door. "Come in!" She exclaims as she opens the door wider. I step into the house and examine my surroundings. The house was beautiful. I knew that Arnav's family was well off, but I didn't know that they were this rich. I'm glad that Aishu has financial stability in this marriage.

"You have a lovely home," I compliment Aunty.

Aunty beams. "Thank you."

I notice that Rahul is busy having a conversation with Arnav and his younger brother. While, Babuji was conversing with Arnav's dad. Aishu was no where to be seen. I begin to wonder where she is.

Aunty seemed to notice my wandering gaze. "Aishu is in the kitchen, making lunch."

"Aishu is making lunch?" I ask. Aishu couldn't cook to save her life. Now, here she was cooking for everyone else.

Aunty nods. "She told me she didn't need any help, but the kitchen is right through there if you want to help her." Aunty points to the door on the right.

I head in that direction. I know that Aishu is struggling to cook behind those doors. She can barely manage to cook for herself, much less for 8 people.

I open the door. "Aishu?"

Aishu turns around in distress. Her eyes tearing up. "Didi!" She exclaims as she runs to me for a hug. I wrap my hands around her.

"I don't know what I'm doing," she rants. She heads back to the stove and picks up the pan she was cooking in. "I've burnt the curry."

I try to stifle my laugh but someone behind me bursts out laughing. Aishu and I both turn around to see that it was Aunty.

"Ma ji!" Aishu bites her lip in nervousness. She was nervous whether her mother in law was going to be angry or not.

"You told me you can cook. Why would you lie to me?"

"Because I didn't want to upset you. I know a lot of mother in laws want their daughter in laws to know how to cook," Aishu explains with a guilty expression.

Aunty takes a step closer to Aishu and cups her face. "I don't care if you can't cook, beta. I'm not that much of a monster in law. Plus, I taught my son to cook. So you don't have to worry about it." Aunty lightly pats Aishu's cheek as she beams at her.

Aunty then looks at me. "I've trust you're going to cook lunch for us?"

I nod in agreement. I'm glad Aishu has found a family that was so understanding, a family that will look after her like their own daughter.

"And I'll help!" Aishu exclaims as she hugs me from behind.

•     •     •     •     •