33.

Priya's P

Priya's P.O.V.

"It was Shivaay?" Rahul asks again. I look at him guilty, confirming his question.

"Rahul..." I tried to explain myself but didn't know where to start.

Rahul turns around and heads into the apartment, and I quickly follow in his footsteps.

"Rahul! Let me explain!" I yell after him with tears emerging in my eyes.

He turns around to me and is fuming. "Explain what?! The fact that, maybe, you've been lying to me? You knew something was up with Anandi, and you didn't think to, maybe, tell me?"

"Look, Anandi came to me a couple of months ago and told me they were dating. She wanted me to keep it a secret until she mustered up the courage to tell everyone," I explain.

Rahul chuckles sarcastically. "Nice, so you were lying to me for months, then? Covering up for Anandi all these months? It's very nice to know that my wife can keep secrets from me for months."

I wince at his tone. "What did you want me to do, Rahul? Break Anandi's trust?" My voice cracks, "She trusts me. And I refuse to break her trust for some loyalty towards you."

Rahul scoffs. "I am glad that Anandi trusts you. But that doesn't mean you get to lie and keep things from me for months. We're married, Priya. A husband and wife tell each other everything."

"This was her secret. I am not going to tell you other people's secrets," I reason with him, trying to get him to see my perspective.

"Why didn't you say anything in the hospital?"

"I was going to. But I thought it would be better if Anandi told everyone the truth. I wanted you guys to hear it from her."

"Wow, even when she's in the hospital after her accident? Even when her family is worried sick about her, you had to go and keep this big secret, right?"

"I was going to tell you, I promise. I didn't know how to bring it up in such a situation. And then, when I talked to Anandi, we both agreed it was best that she tell everyone. Me telling you would've just made you angry and chase after Shivaay, which we didn't need," I explain.

"Let me just ask you one thing, Priya; if roles were reversed and this happened to Aishu, how would you feel?"

I would've felt hurt. That my sister, someone I was so close with, felt the need to hide a whole relationship from me. I would've felt angry that people hid the said relationship from me. 

Tears fall down my face. I didn't know what else to say but to apologize. "I'm sorry."

Rahul's face falls when he sees me cry, but he doesn't move to comfort me. I knew then how much I hurt him by keeping this secret. "I don't know if I can trust you, Priya. Nice going, though; by trying not to break Anandi's trust, you've broke mine." With that, he heads into the guest bedroom.