36.

Priya's P

Priya's P.O.V.

Numb. That's all that I've been feeling since I've got to the hospital.

Arnav, Aishu, and Babuji were driving back to drop off Babuji after dinner. A drunk truck driver had hit the passenger side. Aishu and Babuji got hit the most from the accident.

Arnav went into a small surgery and he's in recovery now. While Aishu and Babuji were still in surgery.

Rahul has been with me since we got to the hospital which was 5 hours ago and he hasn't said a single word to me. But, he's being taking care of things ever since we left the office. He's always been so good at being strong during moments like these.

Ma, Papa, Anandi, and Siddu have all been waiting with me.

"Everything will be fine, beta." Ma places a hand on my shoulder and squeezes it. I look up at her with tears in my eyes and nod.

"Your Ma is right. My Rishi is a tiger. He'll come out of surgery laughing, just wait," Papa comments, making me smile a little.

"Bhabhi, here drink some coffee." Siddu hands me a cup of coffee and take it gratefully.

I bring up my feet to my chin on the seat and hold the coffee with two hands. The warmth soothes me. I take a sip and close my eyes.

When I open them, Rahul was still right next to me. Even though we aren't on the best terms, his presence was enough to give me strength in this situation.

"How are you doing, Bhabhi?" Anandi takes the seat next to me. She takes my hand into hers and comforts me.

I place my hand on top of hers. "I know they'll be fine," I say. Maybe to convince myself that everything is going to turn out alright.

Suddenly, the doors to the operating room open. I quickly stand up, trying to gage the vibe of the doctor. I feel Rahul right beside me. The heat of his body radiating.

The doctor looks at me regrettably. My heart drops because I know it was bad news.

"I'm sorry, we couldn't save either of them. Your dad..." I couldn't pay attention to the doctor's words after that.

They're both dead. The both of them.

I stumble back into Rahul's hands and he catches me.

"Priya!" His worried voice calls out. The first time he's spoken to me since we've been in the hospital. "Priya!"

I don't how but I start crying uncontrollably. The tears I've tried so hard to keep in the past 5 hours, all come tumbling out.

I sob as I fall to the ground. Rahul falls to the ground next to me and envelopes me into a hug.

"I'm so sorry, baby," he whispers into my hair as he places a kiss on my forehead.

• • • • •