.10

~~ Nakita T. Ncube ~~
Thursday April 10th 2014
Toronto, Canada.

It's been almost two weeks since the OVO after party. It's Thursday today and I have the big meeting today.

"Come on Dawn let's go" I say as I leave my office. She gets up from her desk and we make our way up a couple of floors to the board room.

We walk into the room and in there is Drake and 40 who are the founders of OVO.  Steve, Liam and Michelle who are part of A&R. Then there's Mark from Finance. The final person in the room is the person in charge of jobs and transfers.

I sit at the table and Dawn sits beside me.

"Good afternoon to you all. I'm guessing we all know what this meeting is about right?" Steve says as the A&R Director.

"So Nakita wants to become the A&R coordinator" Liam says sounding slightly salty. If I get the job he becomes just another person to help. Michelle will be my right hand.

"Yes I do. I think I have great potential"

"But are you qualified for the job?" He says biting back.

"I may not have the degree but music isn't about the degree. It's about the ear. I've been producing, engineering, songwriting and arranging music since I was young. I know how to handle numbers which means I can work with A&R admin, promotion and the director." I say defending myself.

"How do you know to do this?"

"My uncle is the CEO of a music company and I was there through it all. I had an internship there where I worked with finance and the A&R coordinator and events manager"

"She does know what she's doing when it comes to the books. She was there when we financed the first leg of Drake's tour. Jake needed you for that especially with your booking charm." Mark says. Jake is the A&R Admin.

"So we are going off charm?" Liam asks.

"We're not going off charm. It's not charm. It's her talent. She knows her numbers and she's a people's person. She can work out deals" Mark says. I'm friends with a lot of people.

"Without a degree, how are you supposed to do music? How do you know music supposedly so well?" Liam asks.

"My aunt is a famous South African singer and I've been in the studio with her since forever. I learnt practically. I wasn't always with her. When I was with her it was the song writing and the perfecting of the song. When I wasn't, I was with the producer or the engineer learning how to get the right sound. That's where I had my apprenticeship"

"Do you know what the artists want?"

"I know what the artists want"

"She knows. She's the one helping PartyNextDoor with his current album which you should already know. You know she refused to be credited for Own it, Hold on we're going home and 305 to my city. She's also the one who understands Majid Jordan" Drake says finally speaking. I give him a smile.

"Majid Jordan are still new and are still perfecting their sound" Liam says.

"With my help. I put in so much over time with the artists even when it's not my job to help them achieve what they want. I'm good at it." I say.