.33

~~ Nakita T. Ncube ~~
Monday December 29th 2014
Cape Town, South Africa.

"Tata can I borrow Genie?" I say as I slide onto the couch beside him. That's my aunts husband by the way.

"Where are you going?" He asks.

"I am going to the beach with some friends."

"Alright." He opens the drawer, taking out the keys for the Jeep Geneva. I walk into the kitchen where Raye and Delilah are with my aunt and mama B, her best friend.

"Okay mama, mama, we're going now" I say as I kiss both their cheeks.

"Alright baby say hi to the boys for me" my mama says.

"Behave yourselves. The three of you."

"We will." We say in unison. We pick up our beach bags at the door and make our way to the car. I run to the garage quickly, remembering my surf board. I put it on top of the car with the help of the garden boy.

Obviously I love driving down the South African highways. It's not far from home since we basically live by the beach.

We disembark the 4x4 and make our way down to the beach. We get set up as usual in the usual place. I go back to the car to grab my surf board.

Once I get back onto the beach. I strip of my shawl. It's been a year since I got out on the waves. The only family member who I know surfs is Nadi but she's in London.

"When you gon go out onto the water?" Raye asks.

"When Nathi and Cassper get here" I say, waxing my board. This board means the world to me.

"Sorry we're late. Picked up some cocktails? Cocktails?" Cassper says.

"I want one" I say still going at my board.

"We got you the Amarula Colad-" I stand up hearing that voice.

"EmTee" I say as I get up and fling my arms around his neck.

"Kita" he says hugging me back.

"I've missed you so much OMG. I'm so glad to see you. And you brought your surfboard" he was the first kid who ever spoke to me at school when I first moved to South Africa.

"I missed you too. We gon surf?"

"We gon surf" I give Cassper and Nathi a hug.

"When we gon talk?" Nathi asks.

"After I surf I promise" I take the drink and down it in one go. I plug the leash in and put the anklet on my ankle.

"You still remember how to surf?" He asks.

"I surf every year every Christmas"

"Let's go" he says.

"You still remember who convinced you to start surfing" EmTee asks.

"Umm my nigga not you"

"I know that. Just checking you haven't forgotten about him" I kiss my teeth loudly.

"You think I could forget Philani? The time zone is just too big. Why? Did he say something?"

"Naww he just misses you. Said you been quiet lately"

"I'll hit him up soon" My feet touch the warm water, being warmed up by the hot rays of the South African sun. We walk a little into the water before placing the boards onto the water.