Chapter 19

Dylan's PoV

"Hey Dylan are you alright?" Chloe asked walking beside me.

I put a strand of hair behind my ear and looked up at her "I've seen better days"

"Understandable. How are you dealing with the um... Curse" she whispered the word curse as two Indians walk past.

I sighed and look down at the floor. "can we talk about something less depressing please?"

"Ok. Oh have you heard about the dire wolf pups?" I nodded and sat at a log nearby. Chloe joined me. " I heard one ran off somewhere. It was the runt"

"Poor thing. Hope it comes back" Chloe nodded and look over at Carlos. He was talking and laughing with my lost girl Olivia. Chloe looked like she wanted to cry.

She cleared her throat and looked back at me. "we planned to have a meeting as soon as you woke up to find a way back on the freedom isles. We held it off for the night but we decided to do it after breakfast" I nodded. " I'm going to go get breakfast. You coming?"

I shook my head and stood up. "I think  I'm going to go for a walk and clear my head. I'll be back for the meeting" she nodded and I walked off into the woods.

*
I walked for a while until I came to a stream. I sighed and sat near it. I pulled my hands to my face.

" isn't this nice" the sickly voice from last night said. I took my hands away from my face to look at the man. " sorry I didn't get to introduce myself yesterday. My name is Mortem"

I stood up and started to walk off. But stopped when I felt excruciating pain in abdomen. I felt bile rising up my throat. That when a load of blood came out.

"That's what happens when you ignore me Dylan Nap. Look at me"  I took a deep breath and turned to the man. He smirked at me. A smirk that reminded me of Peter but much more evil. "that's because I am much more evil than Peter Pan" he said

"Did I say that out loud?" I asked wiping my mouth.

He laughed darkly and shook his head "no I read your mind. It's very easy to read someone's mind when your in their head"

"Y-you're in my head?"

"indeed I can see all your emotions. Tell you what let's play a game I will say an emotion and you tell me the first thing  that comes to mind." I nodded weakly " and don't try to lie I can hear your thoughts"

He took a step closer to me

"Anger"

"Pan"

He clapped his hands. " very good. Sorrow"

"William"

"Annoyance"

"Annie"

" try something that isn't a person. Hurt"

"Abuse"

"Abuse? Ah that's right your father. Disgust"

"Forced marriage"

" yeah I agree that was a little too much. Okay how about love"

My mind went blank on that one. I mean I do have my sister but do I love her. Deep down I do. But what if he's saying a different kind of love more then family love.

"You and pan are more alike than you think miss Nap. Both come from broken families. Both build up high walls. Both won't let anyone in. I mean pan is trying to let you in but are you doing the same. No. Because you're scared of being the weak little girl that you locked away many years ago" I had to hold back the tears. Everything he said is true.

I closed my eyes disgusted to keep looking at him. " I'll see you soon Dylan"

I opened my eyes to see no one standing where he once stood. I looked all round the area but found nothing. No movement, no sound, just plain emptiness.

Suddenly there was a rustle in the bush nearby. I turned to the bush and just stared at it. I slowly grabbed the knife from my belt ready to attack, when a small black wolf tumbled out. This must be the missing runt.

It's body  was covered in black fur with a small dash of white by its left leg. The eyes are what intrigued me the most. The striking blue eyes.

It looked round and whimpered. It was wet and shaking and if you look closely you can see scratches on its legs. Suddenly it's eyes caught onto my own. It's eyes seemed to sparkle then it trotted over to me.

It barked at me. I just stared at it. When it seen my reaction it started to back up and whimper. I took a step towards it but the wolf took a step back in fear So I bent down on my knees and waited for the wolf to come to me. It hesitantly walked toward me again and put its front paws on my knees. I raise my palm just above its head and held it there waiting for approval. When it pushed its head into my hand I knew it allowed me to stroke it.

Soon the wolf started shivering again so i picked it up and held it close to my chest. I started to walk back to the camp.

*

"Dylan! Where the hell have you been?" Felix said storming over to me. he stopped when he saw the wolf pup in my arms. "I-it has chosen you"

"What?" I asked while the little wolf started snuggling closer to me. not liking Felix's presences.

" the wolf has chosen you to be her master" he said while reaching over to stroke her but her small growl made him quickly retract his hand. "What's her name?"

" how do you know it's a girl?" I asked

" I just know It. If you don't believe me check yourself" he said " plus I believe the Indians have said the runway runt, which I believe your holding, is a girl"

"She's not a runt!" I shouted making both him and the pup jump. "Sorry I don't know where that came from"

"You're getting protective over her already. So her name?" He asked again.

"I don't know"

"How about umbra it's Latin for shadow."

"Umbra" as soon as those words flew out of my mouth the wolf snapped it's head up to me as if knowing that's it's name. I gave a small chuckle. " umbra it is then"

"Come on we got a meeting to go to" Felix's said and started to walk off. Me following behind.

Peters PoV

"Show yourself!" I shouted in the empty clearing.

"Nice to see you again Peter Pan" he said behind me.

I turned round to look at him "Mortem" I said acknowledging him

"what is it that you want pan?" He asked

" I want you to leave her alone" I said through gritted teeth.

"Aww but she's fun to play with. I almost made her cry. Do you know how hard it is to get the ruthless Dylan Nap in tears. It's harder than baptising a cat. Now that's saying something"

"I don't care about how much fun your having. I want you to leave her be" I said clenching my jaw in anger.

" and she wants the same from you. And anyway I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for the curse you put on her. You got nobody to blame but yourself" he said walking backwards into the trees.

"I will find her and save her!" I shouted

He chuckled darkly "good luck"