Midorima ~ Thank You ~

Kind of an angst..

I'm still practising for this genre so, please bear with me.. Okay~

________________________________________________

19. Midorima Shintarou
               ~ Thank You ~

The beeping of the heartbeat monitor slowly faded. The beeping grew passive and abnormal. All the staffs in charge of the patient rushed in and out of the room. The sound of his breathing grew heavier.

Midorima came in with his usual cold expression. As his assistant, you were close by his side. He started the procedure in order to keep the patient alive. It was a long struggle and full of complications. Everyone gave their best to make sure the heart rate returned to normal.

Unfortunately, nothing seemed to work. The old body of the patient was unable to hold on anymore. You almost cried on the spot. The old man has been under your care and Midorima's for years. You have grown close to him due to his fatherly figure. But, you had to remain composed and professional. His hand weakly reached for the sleeve of Midorima's snowy white coat.

Midorima's actions were stopped as the old man mouthed something unaudible to you but, it was surely heard by Midorima. As soon as the words left his lips, his arm limped lifelessly. Midorima hung his head low.

The heartbeat monitor gave a single long endless beep. You checked your watch. Time of death: 9.15 p.m. .

You gazed at his tranquil face. The other nurses started taking off the machines and wires that supported him from his body. Midorima went out the door to meet the family of the patient. The daughter and son of the man bursted into tears as soon as the news ce out of Midorima's mouth. They said their thanks to Midorima for looking afrer their father for such a long time before they entered the hospital room.

You followed Midorima as he walked slowly to his office. You saw the gloom on his face but, due to his personality, it was almost impossible for him to show his true feelings. His stone expression remained but, you knew him too well. The mutual feelings you shared with the greenette made you see beyond his cold expressions.

"Shintarou.." you spoke.

He paid you no attention to you. He continue to walk down the halls to his office. You stared at your feet. You can feel his heavy breathing. He was holding in something heavy in his heart. You know him too well for him to fool you.

You entered his office. It was dark with only the light from the full moon outside to help your vision. Midorima sat at his desk with his fingers linked together in front of him. You closed the door behind you silently before stepping closer to him. Tears were welling up at the corner of your eyes. Your heart grew heavier ss you got closer to him.

The visions of how close the both of you grew because of [Patient's Name]-san danced in your mind. Midorima and you once found each other as absolute opposites. You always found him harsh and mean because of his tsundere personality. Midorima on the othet hand, found you annoying and distracting due to your talkativeness and cheerful self. He found you dragging him into trouble many times. But, opposites attract..

[Patient's Name]-san would always give advice to the both of you. He saw you both as his children. He would laugh at the little fights you and Midorima have almost everyday. He grew weaker day by day but, he never let his fatherly smile fade from his face. It didn't take long before he helped the both of you uncover the mutual feelings hidden within you and Midorima's heart.

"You two would make a great couple. I'll be sure to attend your wedding if my life is longer.." He gave a loud laugh as if the thought of death did not bother him.

Midorima's peculiar way of confessing happened on the night of the annual fund raising hospital dinner. You found yourself cornered against the wall of Midorima's office with his arms trapping you. You first thought that he was angry because you kept annoying him but, that wasn't the real case. You never saw the look that Midorima gave you before. The loving look that overflowed from his green hues. Nit a word was exchanged but, the passionate kiss you shared told you everything there is to know.

The relationship had to remain as a secret. A doctor and his assistant cannot be in a relationship due to professional purposes. But, of course, [Patient's Name]-san knew everything and gave his support in his usual fatherly way.

You snapped back into reality when you saw droplets of tears drip from Midorima's cheeks to his desk. You heart sinked further and as if by reflex, you went to his side. You pulled him into your warm embrace, letting him lean his head on your shoulder. You felt warm liquid on your blouse. The silent tears explained everything he felt. Your tears gushed out as you started to cry as well.

"Shintarou, it's okay.. You can cry. I understand.." you said between tears. You rubbed circles on his back as you wesved your fingers through his soft green hair lovingly.

He wrapped his long arms around your waist, pulling you closer.

"If only I was able to do better, he could have survived. But, I failed!" you heard his voice whisper softly, unwilling to let his shaky voice show.

"Don't say that.." You pulled yourself away from him slightly and cupped hid cheeks so that your eyes could meet his.

"I'm not good enough as a doctor. That's why he --"

"[Patient's Name]-san would be sad if you say that. He said thank you, didn't he?" you cut him off mid-sentence.

"W-What?" Midorima asked with widened eyes.

"That's what he said to you earlier, wasn't it. His sincere thank yous were so often until I know it even if he just mouths them. I know you heard him," you gave Midorima a small smile.

"[Firstname].." Midorima was lost of words.

He never shows much of his emotions to anyone else. But, when he's with you.. He's like an open book that needs to be understood.

"Thank you for all the care these past few years, Shintarou. It seems that I won't be able to attend your wedding with [Firstname].. Tell my kids that I'm going to meet their mother soon. Thank you.."

Those were [Patient's Name]-san's last words.

~End
_______________________________________________

So.. How was it? I'm so sorry if it wasn't really good. My angsts are still lacking the deep feels. Need to work hard on getting it right then, hahaha..

~kimmie_ryren